Keys in October: is it a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSpock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi from NorCal!

I'm planning my diving vacation for first 2 weeks of October and wonder if it's a good idea to go diving in Florida. I know it's a peak of hurricane season, but what about time between storms? What's visibility/currents before or after the storm? Overall, is it a good idea to spend my precious vacation days there in October?

The idea was to stay on Key Largo and dive wrecks with 2 days trip to Venice beach.

Any input much appreciated!!

My wife and I go there in Sept./Oct. It's low season. There are relatively few people there. We like it. Water is still warm. Vis is about the same as we have experienced in Dec./Jan or May/Jun. On the other hand, it can certainly be awful if the timing is wrong. We typically wait until the last minute to make airline/hotel reservations, checking the weather beforehand.

Imorin, Basically that's exactly my plan. Another concern is if there is gonna be enough people to get a boat out... Are there any sites divable from the shore?

Sillent World has been known to take 2 people out on their boats. I believe Ocean Divers will do the same.

No real shore diving. During low season there are always at least a couple boats going out here or there, you just have to call around.

Silent World is awesome. They've got a few boats and will take the smaller boat if they only have a few people. Think they have a new one now in Islamorada a bit smaller and farther down the Keys.

Island Ventures also goes out with smaller number of people as well. Think you need to get 4 people together to go out which is pretty easy to do most days.

You can also rent a boat down there. Call around for deals. When we were there last October, there were no shortages of mooring balls. We got to dive the Spiegel Grove by ourselves. Same with the Duane, Bibb and Eagle.

If you know how to pilot a boat, don't discount this concept.

I know guys from Silent World. I'been diving with them couple years ago - great experience. Especially when we were the only boat left the harbor right after they lifted the storm warning and everybody else cancelled their dives..... We were the only boat moored at the Spiegel!

So, if there is a hurricane during my 2 weeks there, how many days I'll be grounded? Roughly, of course. I know it's impossible to predict, but on average...

We're going in late October this year, we usually go the two weeks that split Thanksgiving, but the weather has been questionable the past two years (windy mostly)

Conch Republic usually as a bunch of people going out every day...don't forget about them!

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's "Conch Republic"? I tried to search but the term is too vague.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom