Open water =}

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
Just done my Open water dive 1 and 2!!

It was amazing. Went to Beadnell! =}!

Was a bit scared though. Apparently viz was good...but i dunno, couldn't see much, loadsa kelp and a few fishes, starfish, crabs...

tried staying streamlined, but couldn't =\! So was kicking really fast and was moving slow...anyone got any tips?

Also my buoyancy is bit off i think...kept sinking to the floor and hitting my knee of the rocks...

Other than that it was good...it wasn't even cold...wore a 5.5mm wetsuit and a shorty on top.

But I 'm still scared for next week. I loved it, but it's still scary, scared in case I drown...blah

x x

just done my open water dive 1 and 2!!

It was amazing. Went to beadnell! =}!

Tried staying streamlined, but couldn't =\! So was kicking really fast and was moving slow...anyone got any tips?kick slow,move slow,it's not a race you have to win.

also my buoyancy is bit off i think...kept sinking to the floor and hitting my knee of the rocks...ditch some weight

other than that it was good...it wasn't even cold...wore a 5.5mm wetsuit and a shorty on top.

But i 'm still scared for next week. I loved it, but it's still scary, scared in case i drown...blah don't worry,just have fun

x x

:d

Thanks 300 =}!
really enjoyed myself...but really sore legs!! Haha My own fault really ehy!

Only thing I had problem with was mask clearing...Had to clear my mask before doing the exercise anyways and done it fine...but when it came to the exercise, I couldn't do it...silly me, I let water into the mask, and forgot to let go and lifted the mask too far haha....so it kept flooding...lol...think it was too much excitement =}

Oh yeah... on the part you said "move slow" what if your buddy is racing ahead =\! My instructor was way ahead sometimes, and i found it hard to keep up.

Tell them before the next dive that:

They're moving too fast for you and you can't keep up
Buddies are supposed to check for each other, if your buddy and the instructor are too far ahead they're not following the buddy system.

Good luck, and keep posting your experiences, I'm rooting for you.

*edit*

When I learned to dive I experienced the same thing as you: other zoomed ahead in the OW dives. It was stressful and I burned up more air. Fortunately, I met a diver who said you'll see more when you slow down.

I'm not a fast swimmer, and after 11 years of diving if I'm with a new dive buddy I'll tell them "Hey, I'm not a fast swimmer". Any good buddy will go with you at your pace, if not get a new buddy.

Oh okay! Yeah he kept stopping and waiting though, but there were times i couldn't even see his fins! ( He has a black and a yellow fin :))!

Thanks shoredivr :)

Oh yeah... on the part you said "move slow" what if your buddy is racing ahead =\! My instructor was way ahead sometimes, and i found it hard to keep up.

His fault,not yours,slowest buddy sets the pace.Maybe HE/SHE needs some retraining.:D
Don't worry to much,my [-] idiot [/-] openwater instructor managed it to be NOT in the water on my last dive.:shakehead:
O well I survived and still love the diving.:)

Oh okay! Yeah he kept stopping and waiting though, but there were times i couldn't even see his fins! ( He has a black and a yellow fin :))!

Good that the instructor is stopping and waiting, just needs to be aware that you may need "less speed". The two different colours of fins instructor identifying trick is an oldie but goodie, especially in low viz.

I had an underwater photographer tell me also that on the reef, carnivores - apex predators - move quickly, so if you're moving quickly, that's what the reef occupants think you are, and they leave.

Whereas if you move slowly, stop here and there etc., you are behaving like a herbivore, so the reef occupants are less likely to move away.

Oh he's the top of the top instructors lol! The highest at the LDS! "Padi Master Instructor"

Will ask him to slow down...but then I think it's my fault. I shouldn't have signalled ok when i wasn't with the pace!

Will know next time!

ziptie some cannonballs to his feet,that will slow him down.:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom