AOW classes in Destin/Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heydn62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son and I will be in the area in October and are thinking about doing an AOW cert while there if we can find a dive op with a class we could do (2nd weekend in OCT - Th-Sat). We've got less than 25 dives each and don't feel comfortable going off a boat without a guide. We were gonna hire a guide, but I thought maybe it would be a good time to do the AOW. I particularly want to get better at navigation, so if anybody has specific recomendations for ops/instructors, I'd appreciate it.

We'll be closer to Destin, than Panama City, but would drive a little farther if we could do better in PC. Of course, Ft. Walton would work too.

Thanks,

Are you set on diving in the gulf? Being close to Destin, you'll also be close to Morrison and Vortex. I don't know how the shops in the area run their courses, but most of the courses I offer consist of shore dives. It saves the students the boat fees and introduces them to the fresh water springs of Florida, as well as some other panhandle sites. I believe some of the other instructors in the area offer similar courses. Whoever you choose to go with, try to add a Nitrox course to the mix. I offer Nitrox with many of my courses for a reduced rate. It may not be something you think you'll use now, but it will definitely come into use the first time you head to the tropics for a week long of diving.

We dove with Dive Locker in PCB today and my buddy was talking to an instructor (Chuck) on the boat about their AOW class. It's a 2 day class they do in a weekend and they can add Nitrox on to the class at a reduced rate also. I think he said part of it is done at the Jetties (navigation) and part on a boat dive. We were impressed with him and the Dive Locker operation. Their boats are great! You can hire a DM as a guide at Dive Locker for $25 per diver to accompany you on a boat dive or a jetty dive. I've been in PCB for 5 years and this was my first time going with Dive Locker and it won't be my last.

Thanks for the replies. I've had one response from a PCB dive-op and was told no-one there felt comfortable teaching a 12 year old in an AOW class. I certainly respect that from them. I'd still like to take the class, though. I don't think we would dive any differently than we do now, but I'd like for us to take the class to get a little more instruction and be better divers.

If youre willing to pay extra for your 12yr old to do AOW with just the two of you and an instructor, it should work out better. It is difficult to put children in with adult classes sometimes, and so hard to guaruntee anything without assessing the students first in the pool. But any of the local shops should be able to accomodate you. Emerald Coast in Destin has teaching down to a science.

Thanks for the replies. I've had one response from a PCB dive-op and was told no-one there felt comfortable teaching a 12 year old in an AOW class. I certainly respect that from them. I'd still like to take the class, though. I don't think we would dive any differently than we do now, but I'd like for us to take the class to get a little more instruction and be better divers.

As long as the 12 year old is already trained and certified and comfortable in the water, I don't see why they would feel uncomfortable with that. Are they willing to take the 12 year old out on chartered dives?

The limitation you will have in doing an AOW course with a 12 year old is not being able to go deeper than 70'. Keep checking around. However, being that your son is 12, I would insist on a course just for the 2 of you. Some of the skills may involve some extra time. My AOW course includes shooting SMBs and lift bags. With younger kids I always make sure there's a little extra time to get those skills done because coordination isn't always completely developed and it may take longer to teach those particular skills. However, most shop AOWs won't include shooting bags. Ask lots of questions.

contact Beach City Scuba in Ft Walton Beach, flexible scheduling, great with kids, and lots of fun ! beachcityscuba.com or call 850-226-7900 M-F 10-5 Sat 8-3 Sunday closed (gone diving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom