Dive Report - USS Mass 8/22/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Saturday plan was to dive both sides of Perdido Pass. I was tasked with doing an early recon of the area, so I checked out the SW seawall first. Viz from the surface was dismal, so I made my way to the SE bridge piers. Things on that side looked a little better, but I lucked out and spotted two divers at the surface. They advised me that I would be wasting my time if I put my gear on, so I got on the phone to XRay and told him we would need to switch to plan B.

We ended up switching to plan "C", which turned out to be the USS Massachusetts. I met XRay, Recharge and Brandon at the launch, and we made quick time to the dive site.

Viz varied from 10 to 25, and the water was comfortably warm. Barry spotted a requiem shark (possibly a sandbar) and was twice buzzed by a nurse shark. Barry and Brandon each shot a few mangroves, but I needed a break from the gun, so I took my camera and strobe, and went about tearing down a few cast nets that were killing fish for no good reason. On my second dive I saw a huge, curved, broom tail. I was quick enough to get into position and take a photo, and a little video of the resident goliath grouper, which I guess was a tad shy of 400 pounds. I could easily have fit my head in his mouth with lots of room left over. Before I could get anyone's attention, he eased his way back into the wreck, and out of sight. We also recovered two anchors, two fishing reels, a snorkel, a pair of sunglasses, and a wristwatch LOL.

Good times as always.

Photos now, video later:

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

Damselfish
IMG_2865.jpg

Mangrove Snapper
IMG_2879.jpg

Damsel & Urchin
IMG_2882.jpg

Cowrie
IMG_2929.jpg

Cowrie
IMG_2884.jpg

Cowrie
IMG_2890.jpg

Decorator
IMG_2899.jpg

Scorpionfish
IMG_2907.jpg

Goliath Grouper (I'm guessing about 400 pounds)
IMG_2921.jpg

Thanks for the report

Great report. I'll add that there was an unusually large amount of white flower like material growing in a couple of areas mainly on the bow, and it appeared to be being eaten by the local inhabitants of the reef. Alex has a nice picture of it and I have a few here as well. Any ideas what it is? Dave C.?

P8224875.jpg

P8224876.jpg

Scorpion Fish seemed to like it for camo.
P8224877.jpg

More Pics:

Scorpion Fish:
P8224893.jpg

Trigger Fish:
P8224897.jpg

Spotfin Butterflyfish:

P8224903.jpg

P8224906.jpg

P8224952.jpg

P8224950.jpg

P8224947.jpg

P8224943.jpg

Puffer Fish:
P8224938.jpg

Just you wait 'till next year...
P8224940.jpg

Now everyone knows how much I like blennys: So here is where I spent most of my time on the Mass.....At the Blenny Condos! Here are a few pictures of the over 100 Bleeny photos I took.

One section of the Blenny condos:
P8224934.jpg

P8224918.jpg

P8224921.jpg

P8224922.jpg

P8224923.jpg

P8224924.jpg

P8224929.jpg

P8224936.jpg

Now that last picture got me thinking....Haven't I seen this guy somwhere before? I scrathed my head on that for a couple of hours after I had been home and processed my photos and finally it hit me......

Alex_Blenny.jpg

I have some video coming too ( With my Nurse Shark video), as soon as Vimeo stops processing it.

Here's my long video....Over 11 minutes! Nurse Shark is close to the beginning. Mainly looking at the growth on the wreck not so much the wreck itself. Almost like a macro video? I didn't really care for it, but thought I'd share it anyway.

USS Massachusetts 8-22-09 on Vimeo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom