Whale Shark on the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So - I've been hearing that there were Whale Sharks in the Gulf of Mexico off of Pensacola all summer. I had not seen them myself but the crew on the H2OBelow had seen them several times on top of the water. We had National Geographic on the boat and they saw them also. So for my birthday August 8 I told the captain that all I wanted was to see a Whale Shark. I promised I wouldn't jump off the boat into the water and mess with them. I just wanted to see one.

Well my birthday came and went - no Whale Shark sightings.

But while I'm at work all week they continued to see Whale Sharks. Aaarrggghhh!

We (H2OBelow) went to the Oriskany yesterday with a group from Missouri. We got in the water and of course I headed to my normal spots to check on the Octopus. I heard a bunch of underwater screaming and looked around. Everybody was looking and pointing off into the distances. Sleppy knew that I was on a quest for Whale Sharks so he swam over to me and screaming said "Whale Shark". I swam faster than Nemo's father in the beginning of the movie but I did not see the Whale Shark.

During the surface interval I told everyone on the boat that I thought they were having fun with me and making it up.

On the second dive - I left everyone on the tower and took off across the flight deck in search of Whale Sharks. Also to the edge of the flight deck I was a huge group of fish. Lings standing still. Amberjacks under them not moving. And then I saw it. The unmistakable white dots of a Whale Shark. It was surrounded by it's fans - like a rock star on the red carpet! The damn thing was beautiful - It was about 25 feet long.

Now I've dove the Oriskany almost 200 times but this was the bomb! The vis was over 100 feet. The water is perfectly warm. There was no current. I'm all alone at the edge of the flight deck (still at 125 feet) and I'm about 30 feet from a 25 foot Whale Shark. It was one of those moments when you stop and think - this is why I do this diving thing!

It was wonderful. I am still smiling this morning! Thank you God for all you have given to us!

:D

great report thnx!!!

Awesome seadoggirl, I've yet to see one and hope my first experience with the biggest fish is that terrific!

Congrats! That's a dream dive for me. The Oriskany AND a whale shark...

Michael

Seeing a whale shark is on my list of things to see for sure. Glad you finally got to see it :)

We've made special trips to try and find a whale shark but with no luck. I'm so happy that you got to see one. Did you have your camera and take pictures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom