Dive Profiles for the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are they? It looks like most of the Oriskany is pretty deep. My buddy and I were looking at driving down from Memphis one weekend to dive the big ship.

Were AOW, Nitrox, etc. Have done a few dives to 130 on regular air. Have been to 120 on Nitrox.

With those givens, what would we be looking at for Oriskany profiles? And with what gas mix? Emphasis on no-deco or short deco.

I would dive either 28% to 30% on your gas. There is a ton to see from 80 to 120 fsw. Depending on what kind of tank you are diving I would say you should expect somewhere between two 30 to 40 minute no deco dives. Of course the shallower you decide to stay you can increase your dive time. Don't waste your time going anywhere near the flight deck. It is a waste of bottom time and besides its just flat metal. The pri-fly bridge, nav bridge, and American flag are three great places to check out. I have also swam away from the tower at about 90 fsw and hovered out over the flight deck taking in the massiveness of the "O" and it made for a fantastic experience.

I think if I recall I was using 28%. The depth to the deck is 140 feet plus in areas and to the top of the tower closer to about 80 feet or not quite. Current can be significant all the way down or sometimes just the surface and sometimes none. IMO, you need at least a 100cf single with slung pony for emergency (for all the people on 80s that run out of air just as they get DOWN the anchor/buoy line).

You can do the dive on an 80 if you have low SAC, you are lucky and nothing delays you, the current is not ripping etc. In order to have a more relaxed dive and work in a few minutes of unauthorized deco take a 100cf (95, 105 whatever).

I have made now I think 10 dives on the O, max depth thus far 165 feet. I looked into the hanger deck but did not penetrate (much). Frankly, I always say, this dive is really to deep for sport diving. The opportunity, especially on lower viz days to get really deep real fast is a real danger (as in going down the outboard side of the tower by accident, you will not hit deck until you hit sand at 240 feet).

If you stay on the tower you can have a fine two dives but it gets kind of boring and potentially crowded depending on who and what is about by the end of the second dive, unless a whale shark or something stops by and that is never boring.

Good luck, enjoy your trip.

N

I don't think it is an accident that they put "recreational wrecks" at the deeper limits of recreational diving. If you put them at 50 feet, your dive operators are going to have long dives to deal with. Put them at 100+ feet and then it is 15 minutes and done.

What are they? It looks like most of the Oriskany is pretty deep. My buddy and I were looking at driving down from Memphis one weekend to dive the big ship.

Were AOW, Nitrox, etc. Have done a few dives to 130 on regular air. Have been to 120 on Nitrox.

With those givens, what would we be looking at for Oriskany profiles? And with what gas mix? Emphasis on no-deco or short deco.

what are your certs? nitrox and aow? why would "short deco" be ok if you dont have the training for it?

brett

why would "short deco" be ok if you dont have the training for it?

brett

I'll assume that question is rhetorical and not answer it. After all, you are basing it off an unfounded assumption that must be a hypothetical.

Thanks for your valuable input. You cleared up so many of the questions that I asked!

I'll assume that question is rhetorical and not answer it. After all, you are basing it off an unfounded assumption that must be a hypothetical.

Thanks for your valuable input. You cleared up so many of the questions that I asked!

it was a question hense the question marks. Why would i suggest a profile that would place you into a situation that you are not certified for in good conscience?

if you dont have any deco training, then you shouldnt be doing any deco diving (regardless of how minor it is) would be my thoughts. maybe if you filled out your profile others could help you when it comes to things as simple as assisting you with a dive plan that would fall within your limits.

brett

Well, hmmm, I got some deco training in my NAUI courses, many people know how to read and and understand the tables without going to a PADI merit badge course for it. I understand what he wants and means by limited but possible deco given the depth of the dive and the possibility always of something throwing the best laid plans aside, be prepared on this dive to deal with a short deco is a good idea, that is why I am recommending more than an 80, not so you can stay down longer as that is limited by deco obligations/physics but to be able to deal with an OOA or equipment malfunction, say, of another diver, and still have the ability to catch your safety stop or a few minutes of required deco resulting from some unplanned fiasco.

Now, if you make advance arrangements the ops in the area can arrange single tank "tech" dives where you can run doubles, scooters etc but the typical O dive is a two tank dive done within the recreational limits--but---always be prepared at these depths to handle what ever might come up, even a little deco.

I suggest contacting MBT Divers and see if they can book you a trip, tell them your preferences in boats, tanks, Nitrox etc (fast and little, slow and big etc) and see if they can work you a captain and boat to your liking. I have used the Y Knot and the H2O Below and one other with good success.

N

Well, hmmm, I got some deco training in my NAUI courses, many people know how to read and and understand the tables without going to a PADI merit badge course for it.

Any open water certified monkey should be able to read tables, unless they do the new PADI dive computer only mess. However, planning a dive and executing those tables is where you need additional training.

If you have an issue and you're computer yells at you giving you deco I can understand that but I would not expect that to be more than 3-5 min, more than that you are blowing it off because when you see that NDL time getting down you should be starting to wrap stuff up anyway not waiting for it to hit 0.

it was a question hense the question marks. Why would i suggest a profile that would place you into a situation that you are not certified for in good conscience?

if you dont have any deco training, then you shouldnt be doing any deco diving (regardless of how minor it is) would be my thoughts. maybe if you filled out your profile others could help you when it comes to things as simple as assisting you with a dive plan that would fall within your limits.

brett

You are still talking to someone other than me, but you think you are talking to me. And you still haven't added any value to this thread. You, are what we call a troll.

If you don't plan on actually answering any of my questions, then don't bother posting plz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom