Was I Narc'd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UntamedSpirit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On one of my recent dives there was one moment felt a little uncomfortable, we were diving the 6*6 at dutch, i was about 85 feet, and i just felt like something was pulling me down, my buddy said I was hovering good (she was fine), and my depth gauge didn't change, but I just felt like I was being pulled down, people have said narc'd is a relatively happy/carefree feeling, and this was definitely not that. i don;t know if I was just anxious about going deeper than I have ever (AOW we only got to 75-80 feet but I was totally fine, aside from a few small buoyancy issues, but they are getting better), or if it was something else. We're thinking of hiring a divemaster or instructor to go a bit deeper with us before we do nitrox, or maybe do the deep specialty. We'd like to eventually get comfortable enough to do some Jersey/Carolina wrecks but have a long ways to go.

My personal view is nitrox was a tool used to gain better bottom time, and felt that I should be able to do anything without nitrox before I consider doing it with, is this a wrong assumption?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Narcosis can be subtle or obvious.

It can be incapacitating, even if not 'noticed'.

It can also act as a mood exagerator... increasing the feelings you would normally have on the dive. If you are apprehensive, it can make you terrified. If you are happy, it can make you elated or euphoric.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...0-dark-narc-why-i-don-t-dive-air-100ft-8.html

Being narc'ed is not always pleasant.

You were uncomfortable, probably shallow breathing and loading carbon dioxide -makes you even more uncomfortable. Did you go home with a headache?

Thank you for the link, very good reading

No headache, but I was breathing a bit shallower than normal, I've had some trouble with buoyancy, and air usage, and was attributing that to the fact that I was breathing rather deeply.

Narcosis in cold, dark water is often not a pleasant experience. My severe narcosis episodes have all had to do with inaccurate perceptions of buoyancy -- I suspect that happens to me because buoyancy control is something I worry about anyway.

Narcosis can also be in the form of anxiety and fear. MArked by paranoia and fear. So, you may have been.

About the nitrox, be aware that nitrox will extend bottom time but also limits depth. The more oxygen percentage, the shallower your maximum operating depth. When you take the class, it will all be clear.

Nitrox is neither here nor there with regard to your experience. More than likely it was anxiety and possibly a little narcosis increased that anxious effect.

Many times when divers haven't been to a certain depth they worry about narcosis and it's the worrying that effects them as much as the narcosis (at relatively shallow depths such as you're describing).

The best thing to do in diving is to back off on any dive that makes you uncomfortable. What makes you uncomfortable will lessen considerably over time and with experience.

For what it's worth I've only experienced the "happy" narc a few times. Usually it's more of an anxious feeling with a narrowing of perception.

Although at depths that aren't too great some times if can actually relax you but still well short of the "happy" narc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom