Condition report on the West Beach Paddlewheeler 8-24-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Didn't dive, but...

Went to the beach with some buddies at the public access across from 13th Ave in Gulf Shores. While playing in the water, we were continually buzzed by a pair of sheephead in less than chest deep water. I don't know of any structure around there, aside from a small bouy on a cinderblock, and a beach chair we removed from the water, so don't know why they hung around all day. It was enough to warrant a walk back to the car to grab a couple polespears and a mask. We removed the sheephead forcibly from this public beach.

My buddy had such a great time poling his first sheep, we headed over to the Paddlewheeler. Didn't bring gear, no fins, nothin.. just a mask and a pole. We had one half drunk buddy on a float and me and another buddy just free dove down and attempted at more fish. I landed another sheep and a flounder. My buddy got skunked and wore out before too long.

Same relief as previous dives over the last month or so, visibility on Sunday was easily 15-20'. Lots of fish onsite, still had plenty more to take, but at this point, we were losing daylight and were constantly buzzed by fishing boats(without a dive flag as we didn't intend on diving/freediving), so we called it a day.

Had fun and conditions on this site continue to be OK.

Gonna check out the Shrimpboat later on this week I think.

We were in gulf shores a few weeks ago and had a sheephead buzzing us. it was following a school of small baitfish but it hung around for a good 15mins. or so. I thought it was kinda odd to see one just swimming around with no structure as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom