Panama City Report - Aug 22/23, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Had some great dives with Pat Green ([user]patmygreen[/user] of Panama City Dive Charters this past weekend.

This is my first time out with Pat and we had a great experience. I'll definately book a trip with him again. I'd reccomend him to anyone else who wants to have a great trip.

Aug 22 - Dive 1: - USS Chippewa
the USS Chippewa was a 205 tug built in 1942. It was used as a tug and then when retired, was used by the US Navy for explosive training. She was sunk in 1990, about 11 miles from St Andrews Pass. Depth to the sand is about 100'. She is still intact, but her wheel house has fallen apart and the rear boom/mast has fallen off and is lying right beside the ship. The port side of the ship has almost no relief from the bottom as the sand runs right up to the gunwale.

Lots of nice fish on the wreck, including a 4-5 ft Goliath Grouper that was hiding in the decks.

water temp was about 82f and vis was about 40-50ft.

chippawaw.jpg

Aug 22 - Dive 2 - Bridge Span #14
. one of the several old Hathway Bridge Spans that are sunk off Panama City. (FYI, #14 is the one closest to the Black Bart.)

I haven't been to this site in about 2-3 years, and since my last visit someone has placed a small concrete statue in the road bed.

Aug 23rd - Dive 1: - The Red Sea
The Red Sea is a 125' ocean going tug that was just recently sunk in June 2009. It sits in about 70' of water to the sand and the top of the wreck wheelhouse is about 40-45'. It has a profile very similar to the Black Bart.

The wreck is excellent for swim-through's. They have cleared the pilot house and deck houses of any obstructions. The decks to the engine rooms have been removed also so you can swim down to them easily. (The engines are HUGE. the size of a VW bus).

Lots of bait fish on this wreck. Also some Spanish mackerels and barracuda.

Vis was absolutely awesome. Prob 80 feet.

I reccomend anyone heading to PCB to check this wreck out.

For pictures of the Red Sea sinking, check out this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/de...-new-wreck-panama-city-infinity-blu-reef.html

The Red Sea, before sinking
redsea.jpg

Aug 23rd - Dive2: Bridge Span #12
Bridge Span #12, located near the USS Strength. We were going to dive the Strength, but two boats were already there and another headed in. Figured that would have been too many people on that dive site.

Span #12 had an impressive amount of bait fish on it. But vis was only about 30 feet I'd guess. There was a large 4-5' grouper hiding under a part of the roadbed. You could get within a couple feet of him, but he didn't want to come out.

I'd like to add that I was less than impressed with our tank fills at Dive Locker.

They appearently don't know how to fill a tank all the way. Several of us ended up with fills that were 700 to 800 psi short and didn't find out until we were on the boat the next day. It was frustrating that you can't trust someone to fill a tank to capacity. :shakehead:

anyway.... here are some pics from Bridge Span #14. (Before I flooded my camera :crying: )

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

Sounds like you had fun! :D

I'd like to add that I was less than impressed with our tank fills at Dive Locker.

They appearently don't know how to fill a tank all the way. Several of us ended up with fills that were 700 to 800 psi short and didn't find out until we were on the boat the next day. It was frustrating that you can't trust someone to fill a tank to capacity. :shakehead:

Now, you know it's your responsibility to check your tanks before you leave the dive shop, putting all the blame on them isn't right. :D

Sounds like you had fun! :D

Now, you know it's your responsibility to check your tanks before you leave the dive shop, putting all the blame on them isn't right. :D

Thanks Frank, I knew I could count on you :thumb:

yeah... well they still would have hooked it up a 2nd time to fill it correctly.

why not just do it right the first time ? :D

We still had a good day of diving. (just a little shorter by about 700-800psi worth).

Great report and pics Mike.

Thanks Frank, I knew I could count on you :thumb:

yeah... well they still would have hooked it up a 2nd time to fill it correctly.

why not just do it right the first time ? :D

We still had a good day of diving. (just a little shorter by about 700-800psi worth).

:wink: Just trying to keep up with you Mikey! So, when are we finally going to dive together? Never met you, to my knowledge.

Pat's a great guy and his boat is first class...

Fills.. well if they were air.. then most assume the shop will do the job correctly...and some don't. Thankfully I use Nitrox.. and check every tank before leaving... and only go to shops that give a good fill...

Glad you had fun.

Not glad the boat was not available to dive on this last weekend.. as there were divers using it...wonder who that was?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom