I am very disappointed with Genesis...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearo

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving since the late 60s and Genesis equipment has been a part of my diving gear for as long as I can remember. Recently I had a problem with my computer so I wanted to send it back to Genesis so I contacted them. First, I like to know that someone at the other end knows something about the product you depend on to fix it just like I do with most of my other diving equipment when I send it back to the manufacture for repair. I just feel much better knowing that my equipment has been serviced by the company who builted it and not by the dive shop and their employees who are still having problems filling air tanks and knowing the diffrence from a regular air fill to a mix. Finally, I was told by Genesis that "I had to go trhu a dive shop" To get them involve again so they can get a pc. of the action so I am very dissapointed by this and for that reason I am staying away from Genesis products in the future.

I don't believe it is so much a matter of the dive shop getting a "piece of the action" as you say, but the Genisis makers may not have the ability to accept and service returns. That is why they rely on local vendors. From personal experience don't confuse the tank monkeys with the service technicians.

My local dive shop hires high school kids to work the registers, move heavy items and fill/arrange tanks. They also contract out to a factory trained technician that has been in the business for so long that he may have been working on jacques cousteau's regs back in the day. If they do not have qualified techs they send them to someone that is qualified.

The shop's "piece" is very small. Amounting to around 5% of the total bill + shipping if they had to send it out.

John

an update...I took the computer to my local dive shop and they called the Genisis rep. for the area. The shop was told (as I waited) that genesis will NOT replace, repair or even look at any computer over two years old at any price.

Anyone looking to purchase a Genesis computer should know that after two years from the date of purchase you can't pay to get it fix. So if you need service PUT IT IN THE TRASH! In my book this is a bad investment!!!

Ok you are correct there. I use a Uwatec Smartcom. At 7 years old the battery died, I sent it in and they sent me back a new console! not replaced the battery, but a whole new computer!

I'm not a fan of anything Genesis makes. Never have been as I think it's cheap crap. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's my opinion of it.

I think a manufactuer that wont' fix anything over 2 years old is kinda crappy.

seeing how this is the Genesis forum, you'd figure that a Genesis rep would be answering the OP's question by now.....

There is no way someone from Genesis told the dealer, they wouldn't do anything. I can promise that. There would always be some option that was offered. It may be an upgrade to a new computer, it may be to replace the broken one with a refurbished one at a discounted rate, but there is no way they we told the dive store, "We won't do anything for you"

There are options for you.

an update...I took the computer to my local dive shop and they called the Genisis rep. for the area. The shop was told (as I waited) that genesis will NOT replace, repair or even look at any computer over two years old at any price.

Anyone looking to purchase a Genesis computer should know that after two years from the date of purchase you can't pay to get it fix. So if you need service PUT IT IN THE TRASH! In my book this is a bad investment!!!

What computer do you have, You may have bought it 2 years ago but it could have sat on the dealers self for five years making it a 7 year old computer. I sure would like to see a pic of this computer.

"Randy43068 I'm not a fan of anything Genesis makes. Never have been as I think it's cheap crap. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's my opinion of it."

Why are you on their site then?

What computer do you have, You may have bought it 2 years ago but it could have sat on the dealers self for five years making it a 7 year old computer. I sure would like to see a pic of this computer.

"Randy43068 I'm not a fan of anything Genesis makes. Never have been as I think it's cheap crap. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's my opinion of it."

Why are you on their site then?

Is this site only for Genesis fans?

I've got two Genesis/Sherwood computers.

never had a problem with them. Only thing I've ever had to do with them is change the batteries, which you can buy at Walmart :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom