layer 3mm wetsuit over 1 mil wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LollyO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A local dive shop is tring to sell me a 1 mm and 3mm wetsuit. He says that when wearing both it is warner than a 5 ml suit.

He said I could just buy the 1mm now and buy the 3mm when i have more funds.

I could see where it might be wamer. But I am concerned about putting one suit on top of another. I can barely get one wetsuit on. Isn't is hard to put one wet suit on top of another? The man said it was easier than putting on a 5mm.

Anyone else heard of layeirng wet suits?
Does it really Keep you warmer?
Any other advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks

I have layered my suits before, especially when the water is really, really cold. I put a 5 mil over a 7 mil earlier this spring. It was not difficult and I was warm. I did have limited mobility though. (picture the younger brother on "The Christmas Story" in his read winter snow suit.)

I use a 1 mil under my 3 mil shorty when I am diving in Florida (warmer water but I don't want to accidentally rub the coral or get scrapped on a rusty wreck).

Maybe you should consider the water temperature of the area where you dive most of the time, when selecting a wetsuit. Its going to be hard for you to have one suit which gives you the best protection from getting cold..etc.. in water all around the world.

I would rather go for ONE which gives me the best satisfaction. Also would ask other divers
who are experienced in your area for advice in selecting ONE.

Have fun

I'm going to need an explanation as to why (1+3)mm is warmer than 5mm.

If anything, I could see the 3mm suit compressing the 1mm suit and adversely affecting its thermal protection before you even get in the water.

Layering suits is common and a good idea sometimes, it can give you more versatility for different temperatures. But it's much more common to layer a hooded vest, shorty or core warmer over a full suit, not a fullsuit over another fullsuit. Not that you can't if you happen to have 2 fullsuits, but I wouldn't start out with that as a plan.

The thin suit might make it easier or more difficult to put on the thicker suit, depends on fit and fabrics, really hard to say. But I think 1+3 being warmer than 5mm is BS and maybe just what he happens to want to sell? Or he figures if you wait until you can afford the suit you really need you may find someplace else to buy it, and at least this way he at least gets to sell you a 1mm?

Where will you be diving, what temps? If you are someplace you need a 5mm, a 1mm alone is not of much use except in the pool.

What about 5.5mm over a 5.5 mil shorty??

Layering is not an issue, but if you need a 5mm to be comfortable a 1mm and a 3mm are not going to be warmer....and they are not going to be easier to put on than a single 5mm. What kind of temperatures are you planning to dive in?

FWIW, when I dive in warm water (up to 79F or so), I dive in a 7mm because I like to do long dives, multiple times a day....and I'm also naturally cold. If I were doing a single dive in 79F water, I would have no issues doing it in a 3mm....but I usually don't want to do just one dive a day, so the extra neoprene is not a bad trade-off.

Crap. I just bought a 3mm shorty for Coz in January.
everyone is different. In 79 I would still be wearing my 1mm with my 3mm vest.

What about 5.5mm over a 5.5 mil shorty??

Wouldn't that be a farmer john/jane suit. I've seen lots of those. Some people use the bottom part alone, some use the jacket part alone, and some use both pieces all the time for 11 mil on the core of the body.

Nothing wrong with any use as long as the person wearing it is comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom