Logan Martin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there Looney Bird !!!

Check with Uncle Ricky, Rick Murchison, I think he and Tom Smedley dive Lake Martin a good bit.

the K

Dont know of anyone diving logan martin - its in my backyard. Thought about diving it a few times as supposedly there are houses / stuff under the water from before the dam. Visability would have to be next to none. Tried to snorkel once to find a few things around a pier and couldnt see past my nose.

Whoever put vis at 15-20 feet must be doing something special. even in the main channel its dark and muddy - i would think closer to 1-3 feet at best and most of the time your going to come nose to nose with a catfish before you see it.

Last edited:
That is a different Martin. Logan Martin is a bit North of us here.

Hey there Looney Bird !!!

Check with Uncle Ricky, Rick Murchison, I think he and Tom Smedley dive Lake Martin a good bit.

the K

My thoughts are the same, I have a camper trailer park at River Beach on Logan Martin. Great fishing lake just does not look good for diving. The water always appears to have that brown stain to it. I came by the site on Lake Diver and thought I'd post it, to see if anyone has dove it. But that being said I may try it out anyway just to know. Or drop a video camera to the bottom in a couple of spots to check out the viz.

Yes, Lake Martin is a nice lake to dive its just a little to far and poor roads from where I live. If I'm going to Martin I may as well dive Pelham or Lanier.

Last edited:
For those who might be confused. there are two big lakes in Alabama with Martin in the name. People easily confuse one with the other

Lake Logan Martin is located east of Birmingham close to I-20 near Pell City
alabama - Google Maps

Martin Lake is northeast of Montgomery
alabama - Google Maps

You can see them both on this map

alabama-river-map.jpg

I was born and raised near Alexander City and have never heard it called Martin Lake, I have always heard it called Lake Martin.

You hear Birmingham folks say: "Logan Martin" is near Pell City and "Lake Martin" is between Alexander City on the way to Auburn. (they dont say Lake in front of Logan Martin)

I am not sure if Lake Martin is any clearer than Logan Morgan, but the lots at Lake Martin are way pricey compared to Logan Martin.

Lake Martin is much clearer than Logan Martin.

Having grown up on Logan Martin and spent time on Lake Martin as well - have to agree. Logan Martin is alot muddier. Always thought that Logan Martin flowed into Lake Martin but the above map sort of dispells that as they join up further south around Montgomery. Looks like Martin comes off of the Tallapoosa river where logan Martin is part of the coosa river. Might explain the differences in vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom