Need help on deciding!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any specific advice about either suit, but I can say that one of my kids has a mares 3mm and the other an aqualung 3mm and the aqualung does seem to be a superior suit. It's in subtle ways, but it wears slightly better, it seems easier to get into and out of, etc. Just small things, and nothing you can point to and say "clearly superior," rather it just seems better. If that makes sense. And of course, it could be differences in the kids as much as differences in the suits.

All that said, I live in a climate where 5mm and 7mm are the norms. We have 3mms for the two months in the summer when you can get away with it and for vacations. The rest of the time (and even in the summer if we're going to someplace deeper than about 20') we're doing the dry suits. They are simply more comfortable in those temperature ranges. I know they're expensive compared to 5 and 7 mms, but honestly, they are a much better buy over time. Just something to think about.

I've thought about a drysuit, but I don't want one just yet. Maybe in the future. I won;t be diving in the winter seasons. But mainly in the summer anyways. Got recommended the two i mentioned.
I think I'm going to go with aqualung...!
But what does everyone else think...

Aqualung!!!

Valhalla

The dive shops around here don't stock them. I have a budget too of £260. Which is about $421

I won't tell exactly which one to go with, but if this were my decision, I would go with the Aqualung wetsuit and not the Marres, for the simple reason I have never used any Marres products but I have used alot of Aqualung products and they have always been very good quality. I use Aqualung's Titan regulator, octopus, BCD, and fins so as you can tell I am a big fan of Aqualung products. But I would talk to someone that has had both Aqualung and Marres equipment to really be able to compare them.

I wouldn't recommend either for diving in the UK unless you intend confining yourself to the south coast in the height of summer.

7-8mm is the normal thickness for wetsuit diving around the British Isles although TBH the vast majority of UK divers use a drysuit all year round. 5mm is just too thin.

It's a full length wet suit with a shorty on top...
both dive shops recommended layering up....
so it's 5.5mm full and 5.5 shorty

went in on saturday layered up

No way will i go in just a 5mm!!!

Rethink the drysuit. A drysuit is not an advanced piece of gear. I regularly have students doing their first open water dives in a drysuit. I recommend to all my students that they at least try diving dry before buying any wetsuit. Most end up never buying a wetsuit and go straight to dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom