Oil Rig diving - looking for some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm really just looking for some input here from anyone who has done this before- I was invited to go on a spearfishing trip this weekend. This is on a private boat run by my cousin's friend. I've been spearing now for just about every other (if not every) free weekend for th past 6 months. I'm very comfortable, and have speared several respectable sized fish, and thus far have been able to handle them well.

My concern is the dangers involved in rig diving as most of the time they are in very deep water. Is there anything I should prepare myself for? I will certainly be asking questions when on the boat, but wanted to see if anyone here could offer me some pointers since this will be my first time spearing a rig.

the rigs I've dove had respectable surface currents, so expect to get down past it as fast as you can without hurting your ears.

As soon as you get settled, orient yourself with the boat so you can surface at the right spot. The legs will all look the same once you shoot a fish or two if you don't have your bearings. A compass will help of course.

Remember that you don't have to go to the bottom. There is usually stuff to see/shoot at every depth, so don't feel like you have to go as deep as you can and stay there.

Personally, I don't stray too far outside of the leg structure. Some folks will say don't go outside at all, but I like to perch on the outside of a cross member and shoot into the legs, or vice-versa. If it's a working rig (people are present on the rig doing stuff) then you should consider staying inside the legs exclusively. Less chance of a dropped pipe wrench ruining your day on the inside. Of course current and safety will dictate what you should/shouldn't do as far as inside/outside goes as well.

Remember the overheads and entanglement hazards. You can't just freely ascend. Look up.

Good Luck!

1. Watch your depth, and especially your depth changes. it's easy to get too deep without noticing it.
2. STAY OFF THE SURFACE. Cross members are often near or right at the surface. Having a wave plant your skull into one hurts a lot, and the stitches from the barnacle cuts will pretty much screw the day for everyone.
3. Don't shoot a sea monster unless you are SURE you can stone it.

LOTS of other good info here, from some of the best at the game. Not necessarily what PADI would want you to emulate sometimes but all posters offering advice have been rig bit more than once.
100 Ways for a Rig Diver to Die - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Get alot of diving experience, not just spearfishing experience. This is not the kind of dives you want to get tunnel vision during...

All I can say is stay inside the legs and be aware of where you are at all times. Wacking your head on a 3' around pipe covered in urchins and barnacle would not be that fun. Hide behind the legs to get out of the current.

But look at the bright side, if you do, you might get to see some sharks!

Make sure you have a cable on your gun that's capable to taking a beating, chances are your fish, if not stoned, will wrap itself around a pipe.

the rigs I've dove had respectable surface currents, so expect to get down past it as fast as you can without hurting your ears.

As soon as you get settled, orient yourself with the boat so you can surface at the right spot. The legs will all look the same once you shoot a fish or two if you don't have your bearings. A compass will help of course.

LOTS of other good info here, from some of the best at the game. Not necessarily what PADI would want you to emulate sometimes but all posters offering advice have been rig bit more than once.
100 Ways for a Rig Diver to Die - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Hetland,

Thanks for the advice. I usually overweight myself if I know there's going to be a stiff surface current. Anyone have an idea, or opinion as to whether or not this would be a good or bad idea on this kind of dive?

Fred,

That was a plethora of great information, I've been late to reply because I've been reading it. I'm on spearboard, and looked around, but have overlooked that thread. Thanks!!

I usually overweight myself if I know there's going to be a stiff surface current. Anyone have an idea, or opinion as to whether or not this would be a good or bad idea on this kind of dive?

There is no bottom you want to go to... DO NOT OVERWEIGHT! You can anchor on the cross braces if you have too, or hide behind a leg or riser.

If you have ANY problem where you can't actively swim you get a free high speed trip to the bottom you DO NOT want to go to if very heavy. Be neutral at or near the first cross member is better, with an empty BC. Many rigs have that member at about 30'. You'll be slightly negative below that, but you won't have the risk of an express elevator ride to several hundred feet deep, which gives you time to wake up, get the fish off, or untangle yourself from whatever is doing bad things to you before you get too deep and narked out of your mind.

Back
Top Bottom