Quality Control?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brahma

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Saved my pennies, got home tonight from my local dive shop with my new Hollis X55 wing ($330), aluminum backplate ($90), backplate pad ($85! For a pad?), cam bands ($60), Elite2 XL-XLL harness ($130), quick release weight system ($165), utlity pocket ($27), and single tank adapter ($85).

That's almost $1k for a BCD folks. All brand new and sealed.

The Elite2 harness was short 3 D-rings, the X55 wing exhaust hose is way too short, the backplate holes don't match up with the holes in the pad, the single tank adapter doesn't even look like the one on the web site and is going to gouge my tank up, the crotch strap on the Elite2 isnt long enough and it's supposed to fit someone 6'5" (I'm 6'2").

Now, I actually do like their stuff, but something is going on here with what I purchased.

Though I would post this for others. It's all true and an accurate description. I sent an email to the company and will report on any reply I receive.

Saved my pennies, got home tonight from my local dive shop with my new Hollis X55 wing ($330), aluminum backplate ($90), backplate pad ($85! For a pad?), cam bands ($60), Elite2 XL-XLL harness ($130), quick release weight system ($165), utlity pocket ($27), and single tank adapter ($85).

That's almost $1k for a BCD folks. All brand new and sealed.

The Elite2 harness was short 3 D-rings, the X55 wing exhaust hose is way too short, the backplate holes don't match up with the holes in the pad, the single tank adapter doesn't even look like the one on the web site and is going to gouge my tank up, the crotch strap on the Elite2 isnt long enough and it's supposed to fit someone 6'5" (I'm 6'2").

Now, I actually do like their stuff, but something is going on here with what I purchased.

Though I would post this for others. It's all true and an accurate description. I sent an email to the company and will report on any reply I receive.

Hi Brahma,

First off, we would like to thank you for your purchase. Thanks also for bringing this to our attention and your email to HQ. Lets get this straightened out.

Upon inspection of our Elite Harness inventory, the XL-XXL size is sure enough missing 3 D-rings and the crotch strap is not the correct length. This has been corrected and our Customer Service Team is sending out the replacement parts today.

Corrugated hose length. This has certainly been a debate and boils down to one thing - Preference. Most of the tech community prefers a 12"-13" hose which is just long enough to orally inflate. Hollis wings are fitted with a 16" corrugated hose, however we do offer a 13" and 19" if you wish to change this.

Regarding the STA. We are now shipping a new version when compared to the image on our website. This new version will both support the tank and accept an optional lead weight. All edges have been deburred and radiused to eliminate unnecessary wear. But how it will affect the tank really depends on the tank itself. A nicely painted aluminum tank will surely get scratched by any currently available single tank adapter. Rental tanks, well...they are rental tanks.

Our suggestion for those wishing to use single tanks is to purchase a system designed for single tank diving. A 55X wing is designed for twin cylinders, and while an STA will support those times where a single tank is used, it will scratch painted aluminum tanks and wont be as streamlined as a single tank package should be.

Please take the time to call us - 510-729-5110. We would like to help explain in detail some of the issues you are having.

Best Regards,

Nick-

Thanks very much for the response from both you and Jon.

I appreciate the items being shipped. Everything does seem to be of the highest quality. I shopped around quite a bit and always seemed to migrate back to your displays. It makesa big difference when spendingthis kind of money, having issues, and your fast response- it is very appreciated.

* I understand about the twin cylinder design of the X55. I bought that to "grow into". I should have another AL80 soon. To that regard, I don't see any twin cylinder band(s) on your web site.

* Your explanation of the STA makes sense now, but not when looking at your web site. I straddled the rubber cushion/grip things across the STA running the webbing through them to hold them in place. Didn't see in the manual that it "couldn't" be done that way, seems to work. Might damage the cushion/grip things over time, but seems to be a good fit.

* The exhaust hose is just plain way too short. I can't even reach the thing. I'm a BIG guy- 6'3" 350lb. Your XL-XXL harness seems to fit great, but with the STA having some thickness to it, the wing, backplate, and backplate pad, I'd say my valve to my tank is about 12" away from my head. I'm used to being able to easily reach behind me and operate the valve wearing a jacket type BCD, but there is no way this solution is as "streamline" as I had hoped. This also equates to eating up any length the short exhause hose has. I seriously doubt another 3" is going to resolve this. To this regard, I really am interested in the reason the connection for the hose to the bladder is all the way over the top and on the other side of the wing? That travel eats up valuable hose length. Why not put it on the "front" side? What's the difference?

* Is there a plan to update your web site with current information about ALL your products? That would have explained some things for me and represented your products better for you. Seems like a great site, but needs some updating so we can all see your great products.

Thanks-

B.

Hi Brahma,

I believe Jon responded back by email, however i thought to post it here in case anyone else was interested.

The wing is designed for doubles use, and it is best suited for that use. The corrugated hose routing is designed for the least amount of interference with regulators, manifolds, and hoses when using it with doubles. The hose length is a longer than some and shorter than others. Many tech divers have different preferences on this and we offer different length hoses for those who want to adjust to personal preference. I presume using such a large wing with a single tank is what is causing the issue of the hose feeling too short. A wing that size will tend to “taco shell” around a single tank. This is because its profile was designed to be used with the wider base of a double tank system. If the wing curls up around a single tank, that will use up some of the hose length.

We are also looking at the possibility of putting demonstration videos on our website. Our dealers can provide some tips and configuration recommendations as well.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom