Wrist Strap???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwall04

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just getting started with u/w photography and received my first setup yesterday (Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, and S&S stobes).

After spending the day opening boxes like a child at Christmas and putting it all together, I started to think about what I'm missing (if anything). The only thing I could think us was possibly a wrist strap. I don't recall seeing any references of wrist straps in any of these posts, the u/w photo books I've read, or even in photos.

Since I'm going to be carrying around a setup that set me back a lot, why doesn't anyone seem to use or discuss them? Or do they and I've had my head in a hole?

Thanks.

I almost always have my camera attached to my wrist. You never know when you suddenly have to drop your camera; mine is enough negatively buoyant to disappear quickly into the depth.

Wrist strap for what? Doesn't the Aqautica D90 housing come with dual grips so that you will be gripping it on both sides with both hands?

Now a should you consider getting a retractable tether to connect the camera rig to your BC in case something 'exciting' happens? Probably.

I think wrist straps are great for smaller point/shoot UW cameras but it doesn't make sense for a big honkin heavy SLR system.

a retractable tether to connect the camera rig to your BC
Like one of these:
Cetacea Corporation - Scuba :: Coil Lanyards

I use the CRL11 with my video housing. I'd guess it's heavier than yours out of water. I also threaded a locking caribiner through the yellow part just above the loop at the bottom that goes through a convenient hole in my housing handle.

image.php

Last edited:
I would never want my camera tethered to my wrist. It the poop hit that fan, I want to be able to drop my camera and function with my hands while not losing my camera. Right now I use something similar to what Steve linked to and it is clipped to a D ring....not my wrist. Just my opinion though.

Edit.....the one that Merxlin posted IS the one I use. I like it. My rig is pretty heavy but the only time my camera will not be in my hand is if there is trouble, I am testing the connection OR I am on a shore dive and putting on my fins. Pretty much the rest of the time I am holding the handle even if not shooting.

Last edited:
Like one of these:
Cetacea Corporation - Scuba :: Coil Lanyards

I use the CRL11 with my video housing. I'd guess it's heavier than yours out of water.

Find one you are comfortable with, but I would also avoid a wrist strap for the reasons mentioned.

image.php

I use this one. I can extend the camera far enough for any shot, but if I need to drop it I can shorten the coil and clip it, keeping it tighter to me. The plain coil lanyards stretch out pretty far, so your camera ends up between your knees and feet.

I agree with the previous posts. I do not like my camera attached to my wrist becuase the way it can get in the way if you need your hands in a hurry to deal with what ever may come up.

I carry a my camera on a retractor that I can lock in place that I attach to a large, easy to feel carabiner. I have found the carabiner is easy to feel for and move around on my BC (Zeagle Ranger) during a dive depending on where I want my camera during different phases of the dive. For example at the end of my dives I generally move my camera to a D ring behind me so my camera is well out of the way during my ascent and stops. During the dive I will move it to a lower front D ring so it is easy to access the camera during the dive and take pictures.

Hope this helps a little.

S

Thanks. Great insight from everyone. Although I've been a divemaster for over 20 years, once I got the u/w photography bug and decided to jump in with both feet, I almost forgot that I'd be diving when I take these pictures.

I like the connection to bcd versus the wrist. Thanks again.

Ditto everyone else - I also have the one posted by merxlin. Hardly even notice it's there when taking pics.

Thanks. Great insight from everyone. Although I've been a divemaster for over 20 years, once I got the u/w photography bug and decided to jump in with both feet, I almost forgot that I'd be diving when I take these pictures.

I like the connection to bcd versus the wrist. Thanks again.

Photographic amnesia. I get it. Symptoms include "hey, where'd my buddy go?" and "now which way was the boat?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom