Hey FL divers; what the heck is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelchFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was cruising over Google Earth on my 'puter (wishin I was divin!:dork2:) and came across what looks like an artificial reef off the coast of Tampa/St. Pete. You can see it on Google Earth at

27º 56' 40" N
82º 51' 17" W

I thought it might be rubble, but it's in such a perfect line that it looks like three different solid objects. But then I realized how BIG it all was and couldn't figure it out.

It's really cool that you can see it under water on GE. What the heck is it? :idk:

WOW that is neat..... It's 500' from North to South and about 240' West to East and about .9 Miles from the beach. It's off the Beach just south of the Inlet from Clearwater. It's hard to tell what it is but it looks like it could be rubble from a bridge or something like that that.

I'd be interested to hear from Tampa locals if this is a good site to hit......

It has occurred to me that they just took down the old drawbridge at Largo. I suppose it could be large sections of that bridge, but how did they place them so accurately? And it's only 19 feet deep where that stuff is. Isn't that kind of shallow for something that large?

My Google earth must be messed up the Lat and Long is messed up

Long 82º 51' 17"W Lat 27º 56' 40"N

Is that correct because it brings me to The cost of California.

The north and west designation is all GE needs. Order doesn't matter. Try it.

I have a list of reefs in the area but this site won't let me post the URL for some reason.

I live in the area but honestly don't know what it is. That is off of Belair/Indian Rocks Beach. It looks to me like a barge but I can't find any numbers that match on the list. There used to be an old fishing pier on IRB years and years ago that was destroyed by a hurricane - could be that too. My vote goes to old barges though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom