Jimena Heads to Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
No, not LA; that's middle California. Southern is the peninsula below the US-Mexico border, and Jimena is aiming for it, accompanied by two other devloping storms.
Jimena.gif94.gif95.gif

Well, my friend, we'd have to disagree on LA being middle California (it's more like middle Earth). Baja California means Lower California if my Spanish is correct (which my Mexican friends here would laugh at).

Jimena is now a mean one of Cat-4 headed for the peninsula and could continue on to Alta California to deliver needed rains...!
Jimena.gif
Computer models do not agree on the long range path tho, so there are several possibilities after Baja....
Jimena 2.gif

That would mess up my weekend plans, but I (and my plants) would sure love to see a little water around here!

That would mess up my weekend plans, but I (and my plants) would sure love to see a little water around here!
Be good for the fires there too...!

Oh yes! I think anything above San Diego probably won't see any moisture, but I hope that's not the case. I also worry about all of those that will take the brunt of the storm.

Oh yes! I think anything above San Diego probably won't see any moisture, but I hope that's not the case. I also worry about all of those that will take the brunt of the storm.
We'll know by Sunday I suppose, and your weekend may be clear depending on how far north you are. The computer models are in more agreement that it will follow the trail north beyond San Diego, after hitting the peninsula as Cat-4...
Jimena.gif Jimena 2.gif

Now Cat-5...
Jimena.gif
Saw this on the Weather Underground, posted by a member, which I think was posted a few minutes ago...
5:47 AM GMT on September 01, 2009
Latest from my son in Cabo:

"The wind has picked up within the last hour. It's probably about 30 - 40mph & the rain has started. The waves seem to be hitting harder bcus we can here them & the wind in our room. The city was pretty deserted. In san jose del cabo there were a lot of people scrambling around. When we were landing you could see a lot of neighborhoods that were just shacks. There will be a lot of damage there. The hotels are pretty safe. I'll let you know if anything happens.
It always amazes me that people will arrive at ground zero the day before a major storm hits, often clueless about the forecast. My brother phoned me on my cell to ask if I knew that Dean was approaching Coz as Cat 5 as he'd seen on the news that this was happening in Cancun, but I was at the Cancun airport when I took the call - boarding pass in hand. 12 hours earlier I had seen people arriving at the hotel I was leaving on Coz and I asked them WTH they were doing arriving two days before Dean. No response.

Can't even tell you how happy I am that my cruise down there is NEXT week.

Cruise this week will be getting into Cabo tomorrow morning. Assuming they didn't divert. Yikes.

TC:
Can't even tell you how happy I am that my cruise down there is NEXT week.

Cruise this week will be getting into Cabo tomorrow morning. Assuming they didn't divert. Yikes.
Surely they did. Those barges are expensive.

Jimena.gif

Looks like she is down to Cat-3 and dropping as the peninsula takes the force out of her. Arizona was the target for the evenual break up but now it looks like Alta Calf may get rain after all. Hope the damages aren't severe at ground zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom