Opinions on Dive Boat Types?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfdwn

Reaction score
I currently own an old SeaRay 19 ft. open bow boat. It runs great, as the engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago and it had a three year old outdrive. It is smooth and handles bay chop with ease. I take it down to Destin whenever I get the chance, but diving out of it is a pain. There is just not enough room in the boat to maneuver around and I am very nervous taking it offshore, even to the bridge rubble. I tlooks great, but not real functional.....

I'm planning on getting another boat. I don't use one often enough to justify a new boat, so Im back to the older boats again. I've been looking at Mako, Proline, and Boston Whaler center consoles and some walk around cuddies.

I want a boat that is easy to dive out of, can handle reasonable offshore chop, and rides without dlsodgin fillings. My first boat was an old Cruisers cuddy. It was great to dive out of, but difficult to get back on a trailer and would beat you to death in the chop of the bay. I don't want that again!

All suggestions are welcome!

David Nolen

Regulator, Contender, Sea Hunt.

The deeper the V the better it will handle. The more aggressive the flair at the bow, the dryer the ride will be. I've found an aggressive flair also softens the landing in very rough stuff.

Look for something that lets you store or mount tanks as far forward as possible, and find the best dive ladder you can afford, then save up and get one better than that.

Look into "Roll Control" systems. they make good stuff for mounting tanks, guns, rods, etc.

Any catamarans in your price range? That'd be my choice, stable and fast.

I would agree with most of what they have said. However I would want a boat that did not have a lot of dead rise at the stern. The more dead rise the more the boat will want to rock when at rest. I think the seahunt has less dead rise at the stern than the other two boats, however Regulators and Contenders are beautiful boats.

I would agree with most of what they have said. However I would want a boat that did not have a lot of dead rise at the stern. The more dead rise the more the boat will want to rock when at rest. I think the seahunt has less dead rise at the stern than the other two boats, however Regulators and Contenders are beautiful boats.

Agreed. While Sea Hunt is not in the Regulator/Contender "Cla$$" they are well designed all-around boats. I love mine, but it's about 3ft too short to be perfect :wink:

Also agree with BugMan. Cats are hard to beat. Fast, stable, and you get to keep your teeth :D

I'm afraid that the cats would not be in the price range, even though I know they are nice. I don't get down there often enough to justify that type of expense.

Regulator, Contender, Sea Hunt.

The deeper the V the better it will handle. The more aggressive the flair at the bow, the dryer the ride will be. I've found an aggressive flair also softens the landing in very rough stuff.

Look for something that lets you store or mount tanks as far forward as possible, and find the best dive ladder you can afford, then save up and get one better than that.

Look into "Roll Control" systems. they make good stuff for mounting tanks, guns, rods, etc.

I am a fan of seacat, but will have to wait to my house is paid off.

I have a 22 ft key west dc, enough room to dive, backrolls are easiest. The boat will get you wet in anything over 2 and a half feet but we really like the boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom