'Quick' Nekton Cay Sal trip report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, we just got back from our second Nekton trip, which was dedicated to the Cay Sal banks, and other than an inauspicious beginning and ending (neither of which had anything to do with Nekton), the trip was fine. The bad beginning was the airline, as some of you probably guessed. We flew Northwest/Delta non-stop from MSP down to Fort Lauderdale, and we checked three bags. The two big Armor bags with all our scuba gear made it just fine, but the duffle with all our clothes did not. We checked, and found out it had been sent to Detroit. They said, "No problem! It will be rerouted here and we can deliver it to you at midnight." "Not unless you deliver to the middle of the Caribbean", I said. They then backpedaled, and said they would ship it back to Minnesota and sit on it untill I returned next week. Best of a bad situation, I suppose.:shakehead: So, we went out and told the Nekton pickup driver what had happened. I asked if she knew where we could get some cheap T shirts and stuff, and she then proceeded to drive us halfway around Fort Lauderdale looking for places to stock up on clothes. We eventually managed to put together a minimal wardrobe for both of us, and our angel delivered us to Las Olas, as planned. I tried to tip her for the above and beyond the call service, but she wouldn't take it, stating "my job is to help, Sir" Those who think Nekton's service is deteriorating can think about that for awhile.:lotsalove: Everything else went smoothly, and the trip went off mostly as planned. They were short a couple of hands, but you would never know it. Everyone, from the captain down to the night watch guy, was helpful and eager to please. This was the cook's first rotation on this boat, but again, you would never know it. He had many years of experience with dive boat cooking, and it showed. All meals were very good and plentiful, as is usual for Nekton. We had the usual Nekton problem with damp spots, but the one in our room was on the floor near the door, and stayed there and didn't cause any problems. The a/c was variable, but it was always nice down in our room. The water pressure was a little schizophrenic in our shower, but I didn't notice it anywhere else. Lots of room for cameras, as usual, which was good as there were a lot of cameras (as usual). I do wish they would add electric outlets of some kind by the camera tables, however, but that's an old complaint, and maybe not feasible?
As to the diving, it was pretty much all blue holes when we reached the Cay Sal, and the one site which I had been hoping for, (Damas Rocks) had to be switched for another blue hole due to wind and current conditions.:shakehead: Otherwise, the diving was great. Lots of sharks at Big Hole, as usual, although maybe not as many as I remember from last time?:idk: Lobsters aplenty at Sistine Chapel, including a couple of shy spotted lobsters. Lionfish (the other white meat) were pretty much everywhere, but I didn't see a lot of them. A fair number of rays of various types, including one who snuck up on me and darn near gave me a kiss:no:. My wife was watching this one, and have you ever seen anyone nearly laugh her head off with a regulator in her mouth?:giggle: The weather was nice, with the obligatory couple of caribbean thunderstorms, which were raining buckets one minute and gone the next. Nice freshwater gear rinse, hmmm?:wink: Unfortunately I developed a nasty broken wire in my Ikelite sync cord right where it attached to the housing, and if not for the kind and gracious loan of a spare cord from H2Ogal's husband, that would have stymied my photography. I finished the trip using only one strobe due to this, but that was sure better than nothing.:kiss2: (Unfortunately, somehow his lens dome on his big Ikelite/Nikon rig got knocked loose in the rinse tank, and the camera flooded.:mooner:)
Water temps were 85-87 degrees, and a lot of swimsuit only diving was going on. We used our skinsuits only, and felt no need for wetsuits. Water clarity was not so hot, [40-80 ft. most of the time] but about average for the area and time of year I guess. We started the last day with the traditional drift dive at Elbow cay, but this was rather deep (90-100 ft.), and it had a lot of us pushing deco way too soon. We finished up with the also traditional mooring at Water cay, and got to dive around the old airplane wreck (the only wreck of the trip) and also float around the idyllic little lagoon in the center of the island. Then, we all packed up and started the long run back to Florida. The photo contest was well represented, with a number of strong contenders, and an unbelievable macro shot of a glistening red night shrimp was the winner. :popcorn:
The trip back and departure from the boat were uneventful (except for the part about me slipping on the stairway going down to the departure deck and falling halfway down the darn thing.:shocked2:) I must have climbed up and down that stair a hundred times before with no problems, but always in bare feet or scuba boots. This time it was in shoes, and I think that was what did it. Only 15 seconds from being off the boat. Luckily I only sustained a pulled muscle in my back, but it is still talking to me as I sit here writing this.:sad: Oh well, this could have been so much worse.:no:
And that was not the inauspicious ending that I was referring to earlier. Oh no, that was Northwest/Delta again. We got to MSP okay, and when I went to the counter to retrieve my errant bag, they didn't have it.:shocked2: Apparently they sent it from Detroit down to Fort Lauderdale, and then it simply dropped off the radar. They had no idea what happened to it.:letsparty: They told me to call corporate on monday, and we left pretty disgusted with the whole affair. We finally got home, and what do I find on my answering machine but about 4 messages from a courier service which had my bag here in Minneapolis and was trying to deliver it to me! And the Delta lost bag office at the airport had no clue of this!:confused: Anyway, the bag got delivered to us at about midnight, and the adventure came to a close. (Well, almost to a close- I'm still gonna go after Delta/Northwest for a refund on that 25 bucks I paid to have that bag sent to kingdom come and back, but that's for another day)
So, in conclusion, it was a great trip overall, and Nekton performed admirably. So now we are thinking about the next trip..... We'll keep you posted. Woody (and Judy)

thanks for the great trip report! Can't wait to see the photos! :D

vis was probably about right for this time of year, we were told that anything above 80 degrees at the blue holes meant some algae bloom.

sorry about the baggage fiasco but glad to hear the Nekton staff when the extra mile (no pun intended :blinking:) to help out.

robin:D

Woody's report is spot on! I really can't add much to it--I found the boat to be in much better shape than I expected it to be. We were in cabin #6 and the A/C was great in there. I can't say the same for the lounge/dining area--it was so hot in there we pretty much only ate there and spent the rest of the time either in the ocean, the sun deck or our room. I noticed the spotty water pressure problem-I think it happened when everyone on the boat tried to shower at the same time. The diving was great, and the water was so warm I dived in a T-shirt most of the time, except when the jellyfish got REALLY thick, which was kind of creepy. They were everywhere! It was sort of like the vibrations of the generator was drawing them in or something.
The crew was great, and they let us jump off the "second story" (lounge level) off the side of the boat, which was lots of fun. The nitrox thingie didn't work the first three days, but they gave us a credit of more than half the amount we paid for it, so that was fair.
Woody mentioned the only mishap we had--the next to the last dive my husband handed his camera up to the crew and they put it in a dip tank by the ladders. There were so many cameras on the boat that they had to cram them in on top of each other, and somehow the dome got dislodged and the housing flooded his camera. Well, at least the card was OK, and it happened on the next-to-the last dive instead of the first.
I really enjoyed diving with DebbyDiver--she buddied up with me when hubby didn't do all the dives and we liked doing the same things and dove similar profiles. We both love doing swim-throughs...the most interesting one at one of the blue holes that was a long one that started at the top of the reef at 50' and spat you out inside of the hole at 120'. There is another one that you can go back up, but we took the wrong hole that went up and in about 50' that was a dead end, with just enough room to turn around in to get back out. THAT one was a bit hairy!
We even did a great drift dive which speaks volumes about Capt. Brice's driving skills to do it safely with a boat of the size of the Pilot.
So in summary it was a great trip, with a good "bang for your buck" if you dive every dive you can, which I did.

Which Nekton were you on? Pilot or Rorqual?

According to the Nekton website, the Rorqual is in St Croix this time of year, the Pilot is in the Bahamas.

Great trip report, Woody and great additions by you, Laura! It was so wonderful to meet both of you and your spouses. I really can't add to the trip report. I really, really want to go again but it will take a while to save up. I am so glad that we didn't experience any of the drama that the naysayers warned us about.

It was such a pleasure diving with the four of you. Y'all come back to South Florida and dive with me anytime, ok? :)

Woody mentioned the only mishap we had--the next to the last dive my husband handed his camera up to the crew and they put it in a dip tank by the ladders. There were so many cameras on the boat that they had to cram them in on top of each other, and somehow the dome got dislodged and the housing flooded his camera. Well, at least the card was OK, and it happened on the next-to-the last dive instead of the first.

I'd suggest that you never left the crew put your camera, etc. in the rinse tank. I've seen too many incidents just like this. All the cameras bang together if there is any seas at all.

I instruct the crew to place mine either on the deck out of the way next to the rinse tank or on the camera table and I'll rinse it. I reenforce this each time I hand it up the ladder at the end of the dive. Eventually they do pretty well.

I'd suggest that you never left the crew put your camera, etc. in the rinse tank. I've seen too many incidents just like this. All the cameras bang together if there is any seas at all.

I instruct the crew to place mine either on the deck out of the way next to the rinse tank or on the camera table and I'll rinse it. I reenforce this each time I hand it up the ladder at the end of the dive. Eventually they do pretty well.

ditto.... when we were on the Nekton we didn't have this issue but on other boats we make sure to let the DMs know to just put the camera gear down and we will rinse it ourselves. The one time (in Cozumel last March) we didn't do this, the DM dropped someone's little camera in right on top of Ron's brand new dome port in the tank and put a scratch on it! Uggghhh. Learned our lesson! Tell every DM, every time you get out of the water!!!
We have noticed the past couple of years that most the boats in Calif do this now... letting the camera owner do the dipping and rinsing, rather than dropping them in a tank. Really do prefer that!!! Only place I haven't had a worry about it is at CCV where the boats have built-in rinse tanks that are only about 8" deep but long, so cameras sit in it next to each other rather than sitting on top of each other!

robin:D

There were so many cameras on the boat that they had to cram them in on top of each other, and somehow the dome got dislodged and the housing flooded his camera.

I guess I have to comment on this... I was frankly amazed that this could happen, and then I took a look at that setup and found that the dome cover was held in place on that Ikelite housing by two little plastic clips.(!) It was engineered so that the water pressure pressed the dome cover into the housing and against the O ring seal, so that the deeper you went, the tighter the seal was. But on the surface? Pretty flimsy, if you ask me. And the rest of that housing was built like a sherman tank, as is my entire Ikelite housing for my G10. I agree that rinsing the camera yourself is probably the only real cure for this, but being able to knock the entire housing open in this way? Something about this just bothers me.:shakehead: Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom