Range in Number of Liveaboard Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

Just curious about the range or average number of dives you do on a warm water liveaboard? I am guessing on a five day trip it would be an average of maybe 15 dives? More or less?

Thanks
JR

Well if you are talking about a week long trip it's more like 27-28. So for a 5 day trip subtract 10 dives.

We just dove on the Nekton Pilot. It was a seven night cruise-you don't dive any the first day or last, so there was six days of diving. We dove four dives on Sunday, four on Monday, five on Tuesday, five on Wednesday, four on Thursday and two on Friday. Four of those were night dives. You might could squeeze a couple extra in if you dive shallow and don't stay to long. Of course if you are diving somewhere close to where you leave from you might get more in--we lost a few because of the distance Cay Sal Bank was from Ft Lauderdale--it's only 30 miles from Cuba! And the boat isn't known for its blazing speed, so if you are on a faster boat that could get you a few more dives also.

I've done three 7 night trips each with 5 1/2 days of diving and all in the Caribbean.

Cuan Law, BVI - 23 dives
Turks & Caicos Explorer II - 27 dives
Sundancer II, Belize - 21 dives

Avg = 23.7 dives per trip or 4.3 dives per day

You can usually do 5 a day. Ocassionally, I'll skip a dive, so about 22 dives in a week (5 1/2 days of diving) for me.

Liveaboards that cater to US divers tend to schedule for 5 per day, assuming the itinerary allows it. One reason they may not get in that many is if there is a lot of travel that can't all be done overnight. Often the last day will be fewer dives, again depending on the boat and itinerary. OTOH, the occasional boat with an open dive deck (where dives are not scheduled for specific times) you might squeeze in more.

Of course, you don't have to do every dive, and often people sit out some.

Liveaboards in other parts of the world that cater more to folks from say Europe tend to not do as many dives per day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom