Weekend dive trips out of Destin for Aug 30 -31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dove both days on the Sea Cobra. Seas both days were similar, a little rough to start and calming down as the day went on.

Sat we did Long reef... vis was nice until we got to the bottom and then it sucked and the east rubble pile...which was better, but there was still a lot of large particles in the water.. suckes to be a photographer on days like this.

Sunday was my favorite reef -White Hill, followed by the liberty ship... both had excellent vis, and none of the large junk...The type of day one hopes for when diving in the gulf.

In the Liberty ship... I let my buddy go first (I had loaned him my bigger tanks, so knew he would have more air than me... and with my luck... at the end of the anchor, he has a school of eagle rays surround him, while I am just turning my camera on.. and then runs into a Goliath grouper... I am so not loaning him my tanks again.

Pictures... well not so good on Sat...but Sunday started with White hall....just off the anchor found a moray.. and got my camera on... and when I looked up,, there was a butterfly sitting right in front of the hole... and would not move:

butterflyfish902.JPG

then a young angel came by and they sort of got into a fight over the spot:

fish9011.JPG

and eventually, the angel won out:

Angelfish900.JPG

Why they wanted to park in front of the eel is beyond me...

But as soon as I pointed the camera in a different direction, they were gone.. so not wanting to have them come back... I tried taking a picture next to the eel... but then a cardinal fish.. got in the way:

arrowheadcrab904.JPG

And then finally, I got a picture.. but was too tired of taking pictures to wait for it;s mouth to open:

moray900.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a mix of other images:

This guy was sneaking a peek at my dive buddy.... did not see me:

grouper900.JPG

Your typical angry Damsel:

damsel900.JPG

Ok, I like blenny's:

Blenny901.JPG

Basket Star fish.... ok not much to look at,, but neat:

starfish900.JPG

Grouper pictures:

grouper902.JPG

grouper904.JPG

Note the above is yellow mouth.. there are tons of them out there now.

jelly900.JPG

I have more, but these will have to do until tomorrow.

Great, as usual. I am starting to expect to see your photos every week The head-on gurnard is a pretty spectacular image and also a very unusual one. The typical photo of these is a butt shot that shows the spread pectoral fins. Also, I don't recall seeing any photos of a gray angelfish off the Pandhandle before - good find.

Great, as usual. I am starting to expect to see your photos every week The head-on gurnard is a pretty spectacular image and also a very unusual one. The typical photo of these is a butt shot that shows the spread pectoral fins. Also, I don't recall seeing any photos of a gray angelfish off the Pandhandle before - good find.

Thanks, very good on the grey angel fish.. you would be correct, to my knowledge, there is an adult on the liberty ship... first time ever seen a young one...

Really dig the gunard photo, neat looking fish! Thanks for the report

Great pics, Jim.

The gunard is an awesome shot. I'll be living vicariously through those of you close to water
now that the kids are back in school - keep em coming.

Great pics, Jim.

The gunard is an awesome shot. I'll be living vicariously through those of you close to water
now that the kids are back in school - keep em coming.

I am planning on doing up some 11 x 14 prints of that one...will bring down to Destin hopefully next week... and maybe that butterfly, half to do test prints and make sure the image looks sharp.

Back
Top Bottom