Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuba_girl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone! The few that know me know I'm a lurker here. I also have a butt load of dives (and I'm an instructor) so occasionally I feel strong enough about a subject where I have a "NEED" to post.

That being said...

Are you a vacation diver? Do you 'expect' someone to carry all of your gear...babysit you underwater (not just be a buddy), are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear?

Ok....IF you answered YES to any of the above...you have no business putting yourself on a boat 'assuming' someone will take care of you. Unless you have paid (dearly) to a licensed DM for personal assistance DO NOT go on a charter assuming your buddy will do all of this for you. Sure, I've done it...and will do it on occasion for a regular dive buddy, who I know does not expect it from me or anyone else, just being nice.

IF you are not experienced enough(be honest with yourself..or ask me..I'm not shy..I'll tell you straight up), have ongoing health issues, or are for whatever reason you feel 'dependent' on others for you to have a good dive...the best possible solution would be for you to ONLY dive on larger boats, and hire a DM for your personal assistance. Your friends DO NOT want to carry your gear (yes ladies that means you too) They are there to enjoy diving..not spend their day worried about if YOU can finish the dive...or the day.

So...before you go diving...
After your gear check...
ask yourself...

-Can I haul my gear ALONE to the charter(tanks included)? Back to your car after the dive?
-Can I haul my butt out of the water alone if the conditions get ugly (or even if they are mild)?
-Could I rescue myself?
-Will my buddy feel safe with me as their buddy?
-Would you feel good about yourself putting someone elses life at risk just because you are too dependent?

If you could not answer ALL of the questions with YES, then you need to rethink any diving without being under the direct supervision of a paid DM or INSTRUCTOR. (no solicitation implied)

Your friends and associates are not there to hold your hand. They had to do it themselves...so should you.

You could very possibly be ruining someones fun insuring your own.

I agree with part of what you posted, but only part. There are divers (yes, they are real divers) who have had injuries and can no longer lift heavy objects. They don't carry their own gear (does one have to be a DM or instructor to carry gear?) and some even need their gear lifted out of the water (that's a job a deck hand can't handle?). Some of these folks will put you and me both to shame in the water.

Ok, I resisted as long as I could . . I'm gonna have to earn my second ban:

First, to answer your questions:

-Can I haul my gear ALONE to the charter(tanks included)? Back to your car after the dive?

Yes, sort of . . . I do it, bad back and all because of assumptions by folks like you that I'm not allowed to dive if my 5'2 bod can't handle a tank half my size . . . but thanks for giving a damn

-Can I haul my butt out of the water alone if the conditions get ugly (or even if they are mild)?

Maybe, but it's good to know I dive with folks with a better attitude. . . my buddies make a point of making sure if I do the turtle there is someone close by to give me a hand . . . I hope for your sake, your buddies feel the same way cuz one day you will be on your arse and if your buddy has your attitude you'll be gurgling water for a while.

-Could I rescue myself?

Is this an oxymoron type of question . . cuz doesn't the defnition of rescue indicate the answer . . . perhaps you meant --- are you able to think through crisis and attempt to resolve an issue BEFORE you need to be rescued .. then my answer is Yes but I'm glad I dive with experienced folks who know enough to get my dead body to my family if I screw it up.

Nope . . but that requires an entire thread unto itself

-Would you feel good about yourself putting someone elses life at risk just because you are too dependent?

Fortunately, no one has accused me of being too dependant and lived to tell it.

Now, I'd like to point out a few things . . brace yourself, cuz it ain't gonna be pretty:

1. Your post seems to indicate every diver should be experienced and savy . . good thing most folks diving in FL aren't or most of the boats would be out of work. You realize that the explosion of scuba diving means most divers these days are fairly new (meaning under 100 dives) and probably lack the savy needed. How the heck do you think divers get that experience?

2. Most of us newbies want to do it right, desire to know the savy stuff, and NEED yep NEED experienced buddies to show us the way NOT ream us out because we are doing it wrong. Once again thanks for caring.

3. Your tone is insulting. I apoloze that mine is in return. But frankly your post gives divers a bad name.

Oh, and my gear ranks, my trim is horrible and my ass barely fits in a wetsuit . . . sorry to disappoint ya. Please let me know what outfit you work for so I can avoid them the next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

This is for you "experience" and "independent" divers...How did you get experience if you did not dive with someone with more experience then you to show you the ropes?? I know no one was "born" with these skills.

I have the opposite problem. Down here in the BVI all divers are treated like they are made out of fragile crystal, but only possess the brains of a child who has had a traumatic head injury.

I was out on the boat the other day and politely asked the DM if I could go off with two of my other friends who were on the boat (and who are both DMs themselves) and do our own thing. No, all divers have to be lead by a DM from the LDS at all times. That's just the culture down here - the assumption is that unless you tell all divers on the boat to breathe in and out during the dive, most of them would forget to do so. And it is not healthy.

Ok, I resisted as long as I could . . I'm gonna have to earn my second ban:

First, to answer your questions:

Yes, sort of . . . I do it, bad back and all because of assumptions by folks like you that I'm not allowed to dive if my 5'2 bod can't handle a tank half my size . . . but thanks for giving a damn

Maybe, but it's good to know I dive with folks with a better attitude. . . my buddies make a point of making sure if I do the turtle there is someone close by to give me a hand . . . I hope for your sake, your buddies feel the same way cuz one day you will be on your arse and if your buddy has your attitude you'll be gurgling water for a while.

-Could I rescue myself?

Is this an oxymoron type of question . . cuz doesn't the defnition of rescue indicate the answer . . . perhaps you meant --- are you able to think through crisis and attempt to resolve an issue BEFORE you need to be rescued .. then my answer is Yes but I'm glad I dive with experienced folks who know enough to get my dead body to my family if I screw it up.

Nope . . but that requires an entire thread unto itself

Fortunately, no one has accused me of being too dependant and lived to tell it.

Now, I'd like to point out a few things . . brace yourself, cuz it ain't gonna be pretty:

1. Your post seems to indicate every diver should be experienced and savy . . good thing most folks diving in FL aren't or most of the boats would be out of work. You realize that the explosion of scuba diving means most divers these days are fairly new (meaning under 100 dives) and probably lack the savy needed. How the heck do you think divers get that experience?

2. Most of us newbies want to do it right, desire to know the savy stuff, and NEED yep NEED experienced buddies to show us the way NOT ream us out because we are doing it wrong. Once again thanks for caring.

3. Your tone is insulting. I apoloze that mine is in return. But frankly your post gives divers a bad name.

Oh, and my gear ranks, my trim is horrible and my ass barely fits in a wetsuit . . . sorry to disappoint ya. Please let me know what outfit you work for so I can avoid them the next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

I thought that I was the only one that got offended. I agree with EVERY word you wrote!!!!!!!!! Hey, Betty, want to go diving with me. I'm new too but not as helpless as people think I am.

I thought that I was the only one that got offended. I agree with EVERY word you wrote!!!!!!!!! Hey, Betty, want to go diving with me. I'm new too but not as helpless as people think I am.

Absolutely!!!

Can I really dive?

I guess not since I like to keep my truck clean :D

I would be interested in hearing the background for this post

Sean

Can I really dive?

I guess not since I like to keep my truck clean :D

I would be interested in hearing the background for this post

Sean

ME. I believe it's because of me. Too much of a coincidence for it not to be.:depressed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom