How late can you dive the gulf wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll be in Gulf Shores AL, Nov. 14....will it be too cold to dive with a 7 mil wetsuit? Also, does anyone dive Vortex year round wet? I can't afford a dry suit right now :depressed:

I live in Gulf Shores. We dove in January last year in a 7 mil and it was fine. We also dove Vortex in January also in a 7 mil it was only cold out of the water but they have heaters outside so it wasnt bad.

I agree with Hetland...I dive year around in the Gulf. In the coldest part of the winter, I dive my 5 mm with a hood. North Florida springs, like Vortex are great year around...usually around 68 degrees.

7mm should be fine. I dove all last winter with a 5mm, and only got chilly once or twice.

Vortex is always at 68F, it only sucks when you get out the water...

I dove the gulf year round with a 3mm and hooded vest for better than 6 years. November won't be bad, it only really gets bad towards December through February, hitting the mid-50sF at times.

I'll be in Gulf Shores AL, Nov. 14....will it be too cold to dive with a 7 mil wetsuit? Also, does anyone dive Vortex year round wet? I can't afford a dry suit right now :depressed:

7mm should be fine. I have a 6.5mm semi-dry and it almost keeps me too warm sometimes in the winter.

I have dove Vortex in the middle of winter in a 3mm and was still fine. Fresh water springs here in Florida stay a constant 68* year round. I guess it all depends on how cold tolerant you are.

I dove the gulf year round with a 3mm and hooded vest for better than 6 years. November won't be bad, it only really gets bad towards December through February, hitting the mid-50sF at times.

I've done the Destin jetties when it was 49 F.. but that was during a cold spell. Still, it is warmer off shore.. and with a good 7 mil, not that bad.

AWESOME! I've dove Vortex but only in the summer months...looks like I'll be making a few trips over the winter :)

3mm! You're a beast. For me a 7/5mm w/ a 5/3mm hooded vest underneath is cozy for Dec-Feb. November a 5mm should be fine. I'm still in trunks and a rash guard.

Back
Top Bottom