My first liveaboard ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ill be going to my first ever Liveaboard in a few days and looking forward to it. For those veteran live-aboard divers, any advice, tips or suggestion? It is a 4 day liveaboard to Dry Tortugas.How do you keep busy when not diving? I dont usually get sea sick but should that be a concern?

Thanks and regards,

S H

The last live-aboard I did was the Aquacat in the Bahamas.

It was pretty mellow, aside from the five dives a day. Doing that much diving, there wasn't a lot of 'down time' between the dive briefing, diving and eating. I took my iPod, but I don't remember even playing with that too much.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping busy.

Don't bring too much stuff. All you're really going to need are shorts/swimsuit, t-shirts, flip flops and sun screen.

We're planning another Bahama's live-aboard next July. I'm going to wear my Keen's, take 3 pairs of shorts/trunks and 7 t-shirts, for a week. I'll bring my iPod. One thing I will be bringing this time though are some fins for free diving!

Enjoy your trip!

between the eat sleep dive routine, futzing around with gear here and there, and socializing - yeah there's not that much time to fill. I've finally broken the habit of taking more books than I will possibly get around to reading.

I will actually be on that trip as well, and it will be my first liveaboard trip as well. So we will be in the same boat there so to speak. Anyway I dont get seasick either but have decide to just have the seasick meds and take them. I figure no reason to ruin the trip so just do it to be safe. As for the gaps between the dives I figure there will be a boat full of people that I dont know so that will kill a bunch of time just talking with people or read a book. I think either way it will be a good trip! See you there
-Chad

You guys will be fine. Start your seasick meds Wednesday morning, and decide onboard whether or not to keep taking them. You will have plenty to do onboard.

We just got back from a seven day live aboard. I took three books and my Ipod. I didn't even finish one book, and I never took my Ipod out of my bag. It was literally eat, sleep, dive. I wore Crocs on the plane, and once I got on the boat was barefooted (except for neoprene socks) the rest of the week. It was Heaven!
I get terribly motion sick, so I put on a Transderm Scopalamine patch for the flight and the gulf stream crossing. After two days I pulled the patch off and switched to oral scopalamine. After two more days the seas were pretty flat so I even stopped that and ate crystallized ginger if I felt at all queasy. Worked like a charm!

I am by no means a veteran ... just did my 1st LB in July. But, next time I plan to set up my gear first, in lieu of checking out the boat, room, etc. first, while other guests arrive and start setting up their gear. Depending on how the boat does the initial gear set up, choosing to set up your gear first, if you arrive early, might depend on where you will jump off the boat (first, middle or last) for the next few days. It turned out not to be a big issue for us, but next time would set up my gear first, just to stake out a preferred spot.

Ill be going to my first ever Liveaboard in a few days and looking forward to it. For those veteran live-aboard divers, any advice, tips or suggestion? It is a 4 day liveaboard to Dry Tortugas.How do you keep busy when not diving? I dont usually get sea sick but should that be a concern?

Thanks and regards,

S H

pack your clothes in your suitcase then take 1/2 back out. You won't need them. Take more swimsuits that you think you will need. Take a hat and sunscreen. Take a camera and shoot topside photos to share, too. Enjoy yourself! :D

Just finished my first liveabaord - the same one H2O gal was on. I don't get seasick but did feel queasy the first night. I should have taken some dramamie. After the first night I was fine. I like the suggestion from robint of taking 1/2 out of a packed bag - I did not use half the things I packed. I did wear socks during my dives after the first day. With so much diving I got blisters on my feet. I might suggest some swimmers ear or alcohol in case you have any ear issues. Some Alive or Aspirin - I was sore and stiff in the mornings. After some Alive and coffee I felt ready for the first dive and was fine until the next morning. Make sure to double check you have packed any medications you may need - there is no Walgreens out at sea. Extra memory cards don't go to waste either. I brought some magazines and a book - never picked them up. I did listen to my iPod one night for about 15 minutes. You should be plenty busy throught the day - don't worry about being board. Have fun!!!

JDP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom