Help with renting equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
i have what might be perceived as a dumb question.:dork2: I am making a trip back to Michigan from Alaska at the end of the month. While there I wanted to check out a few lakes as I have never dove in the lakes where I grew up learning to swim. Since I don't own any of my own equipment yet I will have to rent everything. However, the local dive shop is SSI, and I am PADI certified. Is this going to make a difference? Will they stIll rent to me? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a complete set of rental gear for a couple of days?

Thanks

Not sure of the prices in your area, but there will be no problems from obtaining any sort of diving services, including kit rental, from a dive shop belonging to a differing agency to the one you obtained your OW certification from.

It would be extremely rare for them to deny you service based on agency. I have read ONCE here on SB of someone having that issue but in my 15+ years of diving I have never experienced that problem nor would I expect to.

You might google for dive shops in the area you are going. Example "scuba kalamazoo" brings up several shops. Contact them and ask how they do it and what it costs to rent equipment.

Enjoy your dives!

Hello all,
i have what might be perceived as a dumb question.:dork2: I am making a trip back to Michigan from Alaska at the end of the month. While there I wanted to check out a few lakes as I have never dove in the lakes where I grew up learning to swim. Since I don't own any of my own equipment yet I will have to rent everything. However, the local dive shop is SSI, and I am PADI certified. Is this going to make a difference? Will they stIll rent to me? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a complete set of rental gear for a couple of days?

Thanks

There is no logical reason you should have any issue renting from an SSI shop just because your PADI. I'm PADI and get air from a NAUI shop all the time (along with dirty looks :D). But, jump on www.padi.com and see if there are any PADI shops in the area if this is of concern to you. As previously mentioned, your best bet for finding out rental prices is to contact the shop you plan on renting from and asking.

Depending on where you are going, and where you plan on diving, a drysuit might be in order. Michigan has had an unusually cold summer. Shops that rent drysuits can be few and far between.

I dived Lake Michigan in July and it was pretty comfortable at 63deg. but that can change fast. Normally this would be the warmest time of the year and smaller lakes quite warm.

If you post the area you plan on diving, maybe someone on this board could give you some recommendations.

Depending on where you are going, and where you plan on diving, a drysuit might be in order. Michigan has had an unusually cold summer. Shops that rent drysuits can be few and far between.

I dived Lake Michigan in July and it was pretty comfortable at 63deg. but that can change fast. Normally this would be the warmest time of the year and smaller lakes quite warm.

If you post the area you plan on diving, maybe someone on this board could give you some recommendations.

I will just be in some lakes northeast of Grand Rapids in Montcalm County, I am originally from Michigan, but the cold water doesn't bother me. I did my check out dives in Seward, Alaska at depth it was around 43 degrees. Gotta love the drysuit!!

If you're going to be up in that area, you might want to go on up to the Traverse City area. There's a pretty active dive group out of Scuba North, and the viz in the bay will be much better than the smaller lakes.

Down in SE Michigan and NW Ohio, the rental prices range from $60-$95 per day for the kit. My LDS sells frequent rental cards for $250 for 10 rentals. Just wanted to give you a little comparison.

Back
Top Bottom