Lone lady(?!) seeks easy-going liveaboard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have a specific 1 week gap in my work schedule for the 3rd week of October this year for a holiday but none of my friends can get away at the same time, so am I will be travelling alone. As it's only a week I thought the Red Sea would be close yet hot enough for me. Having spent a couple of weeks alone diving in Thailand at the end of last year I found liveaboards far better than day trips for a solo traveller, so that's what I'm aiming for now, but I have a few (possibly silly - sorry) questions:

As a 26 year old girl on her own will there be other solo people in my age range? I'm quite happy with my own company and get on with most people (I'm not looking for a party boat) but am worrying that I'll be on a boat with a lot of more "mature" couples and may feel a bit shut out in the evenings. I also only speak English (us Brits are rubbish) so the less chance of a language barrier between me and my fellow divers the better.

Baring the above in mind, are there any particular boats to go for? I found in Thailand that the cheaper boats had more backpackers and so more singles in their 20s/30s (plus a few older divers, which made for a nice mix), is this the case in the Red Sea? Also assuming that I'll have to share a cabin with someone unknown, are there any that cater more for this? I have a flexible (but not limitless) budget and am more concerned with enjoying my rare break from work. I'm a confident AOW (with Nitrox) and comfortable in strongish currents but would prefer to dive with a guide to get the most out of it.

Finally, am I right in picking the Red Sea or would you suggest somewhere else for a week from the UK in October?

Any answers to the above (or questions I should have asked) and tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When you're doing individual booking, you don't really know what the "mix" is unless you ask your booking agent and the agent asks the boat accordingly.

There's individual booking for 3 days and 7 days liveaboard trips out of Sharm El Sheikh. If you're interested, I can send you the exact schedule. You will share the cabin with a female or you can book the whole cabin if you want. And yes the dives will be guided.

Back
Top Bottom