Vitamin I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I work out at least 4 times a week, usually 5, despite creaky knees and shoulders left-over from an active youth. A prophylactic dose of ibuprofen has become part of my routine, in the belief that it would help minimize the trauma of exercise. An article in today's NY Times concludes that the ibuprofen does not help, and in fact hinders the body's repair of injured bone and tissue. Here's an excerpt and a link:

Phys Ed: Does Ibuprofen Help or Hurt During Exercise? - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

Moreover, Warden and other researchers have found that, in laboratory experiments on animal tissues, NSAIDs actually slowed the healing of injured muscles, tendons, ligament, and bones. “NSAIDs work by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins,”substances that are involved in pain and also in the creation of collagen, Warden says. Collagen is the building block of most tissues. So fewer prostaglandins mean less collagen, “which inhibits the healing of tissue and bone injuries,” Warden says, including the micro-tears and other trauma to muscles and tissues that can occur after any strenuous workout or race.

Back
Top Bottom