Best Instructor/Dive Shops West Palm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScooterSouthFlorida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am probably opening a can of worms, but, does anyone have a recommendation for an instructor/dive shop for a little continuing education? :D

Was considering eventually getting my DM certification, and want to start up that trail with the right instructor/operation in the area.

thanks
scooter

I am probably opening a can of worms, but, does anyone have a recommendation for an instructor/dive shop for a little continuing education? :D

Was considering eventually getting my DM certification, and want to start up that trail with the right instructor/operation in the area.

thanks
scooter

Kevin Metz (aka ScubaKevDM here on Scubaboard) at UWExplorers.

I've been on a lot of boats and watched a lot of instructors... One guy that really impressed me was Doug from Diver's Direct. He teaches SSI... Watching him work with his students was enlightening.

Another excellent instructor is Ham Mason at Jupiter Dive Center. Great guy and an excellent instructor. I've modified a lot of my teaching techniques watching him work with his students.

I've been on a lot of boats and watched a lot of instructors... One guy that really impressed me was Doug from Diver's Direct. He teaches SSI... Watching him work with his students was enlightening.

Another excellent instructor is Ham Mason at Jupiter Dive Center. Great guy and an excellent instructor. I've modified a lot of my teaching techniques watching him work with his students.

I have always heard Kevin's Metz's name mentioned and there is nothing that Deepstops does not know about diving and S Florida but I do see Ham alot and just found out from him that he took GUE-F in the recent past so I will assume he will teach with DIR methods in mind...

I have always heard Kevin's Metz's name mentioned and there is nothing that Deepstops does not know about diving and S Florida but I do see Ham alot and just found out from him that he took GUE-F in the recent past so I will assume he will teach with DIR methods in mind...

I'd like to think that's true. I don't think there's anything that requires PADI/SSI divers to be kneeling in the sand to perform skills. The bottom is a crutch for the undertrained diver IMO.

Kevin has also done Fundies and his students demonstrate good trim, buoyancy, and appropriate kicks for the dive they are doing.

I have pretty much heard just to stay away from brownies. For OW I went based on price and my choices were The Scuba Club, and Force-e. At scuba club we had i think 3 certified instructors in our checkout group and one or 2 dive masters. that was with a group of i think 10. I kinda would think that using different instructors for different tasks may be beneficial too though since people tend to have their personal preferances leading them to be more pasionate about certain things

I'd like to think that's true. I don't think there's anything that requires PADI/SSI divers to be kneeling in the sand to perform skills. The bottom is a crutch for the undertrained diver IMO.

Kevin has also done Fundies and his students demonstrate good trim, buoyancy, and appropriate kicks for the dive they are doing.

See, there you have it, you just can't beat Deepstop's advise. I tried to get on Kevin's boat this weekend for the first time but he was booked. I am going to reserve spots for next weekend right now. While speaking to him on the phone his enthusiasm and positive additude was in abundance...

I have pretty much heard just to stay away from brownies. For OW I went based on price and my choices were The Scuba Club, and Force-e. At scuba club we had i think 3 certified instructors in our checkout group and one or 2 dive masters. that was with a group of i think 10. I kinda would think that using different instructors for different tasks may be beneficial too though since people tend to have their personal preferances leading them to be more pasionate about certain things

With regard to the WPB location that is good advice. Not friendly at all. The personel in Ft Lauderdale are great. Scuba Club is a good shop but I beleive Brian's source would take the student beyond PADI's normal cirriculum...

Well from what i have learned in Engineering and from working with different people that is why i would recommend trying different people that are supposidly better with different tasks, such as Night diving, Rescue... some instructors would be more likely to having higher experience in particular tasks helping you build the best education. I think having a kinda mentor and taking advice from different people would possibly help you out better than just sticking with one person or op for instruction

Well from what i have learned in Engineering and from working with different people that is why i would recommend trying different people that are supposidly better with different tasks, such as Night diving, Rescue... some instructors would be more likely to having higher experience in particular tasks helping you build the best education. I think having a kinda mentor and taking advice from different people would possibly help you out better than just sticking with one person or op for instruction

Normally I would agree with that logic but one highly trained and experienced scuba instructor counter-balances 50 generic instructors/DM's. The goal in the beginning is to nail down the basics of bouyancy, trim, situational awareness and equipment configuration. An instructor with a tec backgound will spend a lot of time in these areas... Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom