Pepper Park Ft. Pierce Beach Dive - need info!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyberfed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,

A few of my friends and I are planning on doing the beach dive in pepper park.
I've heard its a neat dive and read about it in the Diving Guide to underwater Florida.

However directions are vague and I don't want to take my friends out to stare at sand and miss the reefline :no:

The book says go 1000 yards north of pepper park and head out approx 100-200 yards.
Can anyone provide with some more detail please? Is there a street nearby, to reference, is there a better way to get there or park ect... help!! :confused::confused:

Here is info from my book as it reads. Apparently I have the same book.

Location: On North A1A, approximately 2 miles north of the Ft.Pierce Inlet.
This is an all time favorite of area divers, and the site of the Urca de Lima, Floriada's first Underwater Archeology Preserve. The heavy laden galleon, part of a Spanish convoy, sank during a hurricane in 1715. To find the wreck site and an underwater monument, walk 1,000 yards north along the beach to the park boundary. The site is about 200 yards offshore, at the first reef line in 10-15 feet of water.
The reef formations begin as close as 100 yards from the beach and is great for both snorkeling and scuba diving. Depths range from 15-30 feet. There is good lobstering, but spearfishing in the municipal park is prohibited. the park provides, free parking, showers, and excellent facilities.

Get wet, swim east, have fun, maybe I'll see ya there. What days are you planning on diving? :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...lfj9DQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Last edited:
Yeah that's the same book/info I have. I'm curious if someone had some better directions.

We are going this Monday, high tide is at 12:19p.m, i figure be in the water 30 min before?

I put a link to google map up but it shows the park to the west of A1A headed north. It has been a long time but I believe the dive/beach parking is a little further north on the east side. If I am also not mistaken there are 3 reef lines with the second one being the ideal one and the third one being in the 40-45 ft. depth and almost too far to swim to. I believe these lines of "wormrock" reef run from Sebastian all the way to Jupiter paralleling the beach. I don't know the distance they actually run. We just parked, geared up and swam east hit a LARGE school of cudas on the first reef line. Said "pardon me Sir's" and went on out to the second reef.

I've dove the reefs a lot but haven't yet made it out to the wreck. There should be a marker buoy and mooring buoys there but I have yet to spot them. The coordinates to the northernmost parking area in the park are 27°29'56.11N 80°18'03.68W (you can paste that into Google maps). I would park there and swim straight out to 200 yards then turn North until you see something.

There are a couple reeflines going out but unless you have a rebreather you're not going to make it out to 45ft - it would be at least a mile out. Not to mention the currents can shift because of the inlet.

Here's a pretty cool diagram of the wreck:
129diagram1ch.jpg

Cyberfed, Pepper park is really easy to find- so is the reef. If you are headed south on A1A pepper park is about a mile or two south of Avalon statepark...

As for the reef, you pretty much cant miss. There are indeed two, three...maybe more reef lines and from my experience, the further out the better. I suggest swimming straight out till you find solid reef and head north from there. Here are clips from past trips (maybe a repost)
Pepper park creature footage

Spearfishing pepperpark

Cyberfed, Pepper park is really easy to find- so is the reef. If you are headed south on A1A pepper park is about a mile or two south of Avalon statepark...

As for the reef, you pretty much cant miss. There are indeed two, three...maybe more reef lines and from my experience, the further out the better. I suggest swimming straight out till you find solid reef and head north from there. Here are clips from past trips (maybe a repost)
Pepper park creature footage

Spearfishing pepperpark

Search Pepper Park on SB there are many many many posting.

In Fort Pierce there is North Beach and South Beach. Pepper park is on North Beach. You can travel south to Indrio Road and go East to US1 south to A1A (North Bridge) East. A1A will turn NOrth at a stoplight by the Cumberland Farms. PP is North about a mile on the Right.

IT is BEtter to just come south on A1A though. Otherwise you will be driving through Downtown Ft Pierce which is like Rockledge, or East Cocoa around Kings....

Park near the showers if you can. Easy to rinse gear. Hide your valuables or you will be buying a window for you car.

Visit the National UDT Navy Seal Museum it is cool to look at the old Dragers they actually dove.

I am working Monday or I'd go with you. I'll be in the Indrio Road area from 0700 to 1500 if you get lost call 772-332-7344.

And the radio squawks. Copy a 21P window smashed. Purse missing. Somebody was not reading ScubaBoard and it cost them!
Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom