Confused about Narcosis...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnceLoyal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am still rather confusedwith everyone constantly talking about getting narced. I mean when it comes to new divers. I guess my question is >>>> When are you ready to get narced? New divers are so much more prone to being narced because??? Or are we speaking that advanced divers just know how to deal with being narced? I would assume being Narced is dangerous either way. I just see a lot of threads always talking about new/ignorant divers getting narced which I would believe leads to some thinking that advanced divers do not get it..

I think it has something to do with the depth. New divers are taught to stop at around 60' so they do not feel the full effects of narcosis at that depth. As you get more advanced you start going deeper and start feeling the narcosis more. The "new/ignorant divers getting narced" is probably because they went a lot deeper than 60' when they thought they were fine when they were really not experienced in deep diving..

People talk about narcosis a lot more than they are actually affected by it. It's nothing to brag about as I have actually heard some people do and for a recreational diver it should be no big deal - just come up a few feet and it will go away. I offer this as opinion, not fact, as I have never had the experience of feeling either giddy headed or paranoid. I am sure it is an entirely different scenario for a tech diver at serious depth, a more dangerous proposition. And I am aware that some people can feel the effects at a fairly shallow depth in the same way that some people have a low tolerance for alcohol. The danger would be impaired judgement. My point here is that "being narced" ain't a cool thing.

People talk about narcosis a lot more than they are actually affected by it. It's nothing to brag about as I have actually heard some people do and for a recreational diver it should be no big deal - just come up a few feet and it will go away. I offer this as opinion, not fact, as I have never had the experience of feeling either giddy headed or paranoid. I am sure it is an entirely different scenario for a tech diver at serious depth, a more dangerous proposition. And I am aware that some people can feel the effects at a fairly shallow depth in the same way that some people have a low tolerance for alcohol. The danger would be impaired judgement. My point here is that "being narced" ain't a cool thing.

I get that for sure. I know the basics of Narcosis, and I am not trying to be a smart@ss in anyway. Just trying to figure out how some seem to like to come across as not being affected by narcosis because they have 10K dives logged.

Physiologically, narcosis isn't harmful (as far as anybody knows). It's the impaired judgment while narc'd that can be dangerous, and it may also affect your motor skills or create a sense of invulnerability. It's not a function of your skill level, and it affects different people in different ways and at different depths. Advanced divers are still susceptible to narcosis, but are more aware of the initial symptoms so they're more equipped to respond to it before it becomes an issue.

This is one rationale for the 60' max depth standard for OW divers. Since narcosis generally doesn't manifest itself until you get to the 80-100' range, OW divers don't usually need to be overly concerned about it if they're staying well within the limits.

I've heard full-on narcosis described as being like a "three martini lunch". I've never gotten to that state during a dive, but on deep dives I do notice that it takes me a little bit longer to process information (like hand signals). Nothing serious that puts me at any great risk, but still noticeable. Advanced divers can also reduce the risk by breathing nitrox, which reduces the partial pressure of nitrogen -- and by extension, its narcotic effects.

Advanced divers can also reduce the risk by breathing nitrox, which reduces the partial pressure of nitrogen -- and by extension, its narcotic effects.

Probably not... Oxygen is thought to be every bit the narcotic that nitrogen is. Page 18, PADI Enriched Air Diving Manual.

Richard

Physiologically, narcosis isn't harmful (as far as anybody knows). It's the impaired judgment while narc'd that can be dangerous, and it may also affect your motor skills or create a sense of invulnerability. It's not a function of your skill level, and it affects different people in different ways and at different depths. Advanced divers are still susceptible to narcosis, but are more aware of the initial symptoms so they're more equipped to respond to it before it becomes an issue.

This is one rationale for the 60' max depth standard for OW divers. Since narcosis generally doesn't manifest itself until you get to the 80-100' range, OW divers don't usually need to be overly concerned about it if they're staying well within the limits.

I've heard full-on narcosis described as being like a "three martini lunch". I've never gotten to that state during a dive, but on deep dives I do notice that it takes me a little bit longer to process information (like hand signals). Nothing serious that puts me at any great risk, but still noticeable. Advanced divers can also reduce the risk by breathing nitrox, which reduces the partial pressure of nitrogen -- and by extension, its narcotic effects.

You know its funny some people knock the nitrox but I agree it helps to deal with being narced alot better. On air I start feeling the effects at about 90 feet but with nitrox I dont hit it until about 105 feet so it is helpful.

But as some posted above one begins to doubt their judgement its a simple remedy of just decreasing your depth.

Probably not... Oxygen is thought to be every bit the narcotic that nitrogen is. Page 18, PADI Enriched Air Diving Manual.

I stand corrected. But the rest of it is true :D

Risk of oxygen toxicity limits the depth at which nitrox can be safely used and this depth is shallower than the point at which narcosis would normally occur. Probably contributes very little to the prevention of narcosis.

Narcosis effects all people regardless of their experience. My tech students are just as effected as my OW students. Narcosis normally becomes measurable in its effects around 80fsw and increases as you descend. There are numerous studies out there detailing the effects and most agree that at around 100fsw we see a 30% drop in reaction time and judgement. Because nitrogen narcosis is a relaxing "good trip" for most people it is hard to measure the effects by just asking them- its like asking the people at the bar how drunk they are after a drink or two.

Nitrox has a a limited effect on narcosis as oxygen is also narcotic but mixes can be used in the 80fsw to 130fsw range depending on O2 percent. Narcosis can also effect divers different from day to day - depending on things such as attitude, general well being, lack of sleep, etc... The effects can range from a feeling of relaxation, to object fixation, giddiness, confusion, and others. The only way to reduce narcosis is to eliminate the narcotic gas- add helium which is non-narcotic.

In your first excursions below 80fsw I would suggest having an experienced buddy or instructor with you and take it slow, if you feel signs of impairment level off and go back up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom