IST Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peejymvl

Registered
Reaction score
ok...here it is, every person I spoke with at the local shop said that death would become of me if I used an IST regulator. I really need to ask everyones opinion, because being the new guy, well how the heck was I suppose to know, I mean the local shop is a little on the pricey side, so I bought online instead....have not recieved it yet, according to tracking on UPS it should be here tomorrow, so cant even tell you what it looks like or any other info, but if anyone would comment on it, and let me know an honest answer, because I am worried that everyone at the shop was a little one sided, because if I am buying elsewhere, then I aint buying from them....

Bryan

Well, the good thing is they wont kill you. IST is just a smaller company that is not mainstream in the industry. It might be a regional thing too. There are no IST dealers up here in MA at all, and no one who carries the service parts to overhaul them.

I think that is the major problem, finding someone to service them for you once in a while.

IMO, I would never buy an IST regulator. I think the materials they use are inferior compared to other manufacturers. Ive seen the plastic housing of the second stage cracked after only two years, with no other reason. CHrome peeling off the first stage. The manufacturer is not the best in the world.

But, they are cheap!!! SO, go at it... It's only life support equipment, right? It doesnt have to very good quality, right???

Your LDS was trying to help you out, and you decided to buy by price ONLY, and not listen to what they were saying about the reg's manufacturer. They were right. Good Luck with your new internet regulator...

Rodales thinks well of them, gives them top marks in its latest regulator review. As far as i know, there is nothing wrong with them, other than that they are not widely known, and made in taiwan. Check out the review on Rodales for more info.

Any review I've ever seen has panned them. I know many divers have a low opinion of Rodale's (feeling that they cater to the manufacturers). But a review of one IST model rated it as substandard and unsafe at any depth. Their test divers did not do an "in water" evaluation.

peejymvl once bubbled....
because being the new guy, well how the heck was I suppose to know,

By asking and listening. Yes you're LDS wants to sell you gear. That doesn't mean they're not being truthful when they speak badly of another brand. I will tell you from my own experience, it took the first year and 50 dives and the opportunities that presented to START to get a handle on what was good and what was bad in equipment. And even them much is subjective. Some like back inflate BC's some don't. Call around as much as you can and see if you can find even one LDS (storefront) that carries IST regulators. If you can't, I'd ship it back ASAP.

The latest Rodales reviews both the IST R-10 and R-20 as excellent regs in both bench tests and in water tests. The R-20 was listed as a testers choice.

I personally have the R-10 as my pony reg, it is a very easy breather with an adjustable 2nd stage. How well it will hold up only time will tell.:wink:

The only problem is that the thing has a tendency to free-flow when the 2nd stage adjustment in fully open, but then so does my Scubapro MK25TA/S600.:mean:

All I can say is when you need an air fill see what the price is on the internet. Sounds harsh? Maybe so - but the more that is bought on the net the more profit is lost at the LDS and eventually they are no long around. Remember they are not just selling equipment, they offer air fills, classes, trips, they have taxes, insurance and lots of expenses and are there basically for us not for "profit".

Just my opinion
Becky

ok now i feel as if i hit a tender spot, maybe even got a few of you angry, not at all my intention....I want to be safe, and have fun just like the next guy, and I do find the advise you all give to be informative and useful, I will take your advise, and if that means I have to use rental gear for the next month or so til I can afford the quality I really want, then thats what it means....Dont for a second get the wrong impresion with me buying internet stuff, I do have a brain, just sometimes let money be the deciding factor, probably not the best choice when it comes to my life...But as its been said before, if you dont ask you wont know, and now I have asked and now I know, and I am thankful that you people take the time to guide the new guys and steer us away from trouble when possible...

thanx Bryan

nauifins73 once bubbled...
All I can say is when you need an air fill see what the price is on the internet. Sounds harsh? Maybe so - but the more that is bought on the net the more profit is lost at the LDS and eventually they are no long around. Remember they are not just selling equipment, they offer air fills, classes, trips, they have taxes, insurance and lots of expenses and are there basically for us not for "profit".

Like anything else, if they don't change their ways, they will go out of business, and good riddance. There is a demand for air fills, service, and training, and someone else will supply it for a decent price. I feel no guilt when i save money.

IST comes from an OEM (original equiptment manufacturer). OEM's produce regs and other parts for most of the big names. The IST is a generic name they use.

Here is a great example of an OEM.

http://www.amer-sea.com/

Shop owners can have their logo put on any of their "exclusive" products from them. Look thru Ameri-Sea's catalog then go to your local shop and you'll see what I mean.

Granted, LDS like to stick with the big companies for the regs and bc's because name brands sell.

I wouldnt say you bought a bad reg, but I wouldnt say it was a great reg either. If you dont want to trust it send it back. But if you just want to get wet and get some experience, keep it. Just dont try taking it to beyond your comfort level and always dive with a buddy.

Of course this is just my opinion.......

:spaninq:

From an IST Dealer...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with IST regulators. With that said... we are dealers for IST as well as all of the following Dive Rite, Hollis, Cressi, Deep Outdoors and H20 Odyssey.

IST is much better known on the west coast then on the east coast. They produce some high quality products and some not so high quality products - the same as all the other manufacturers. Depend on your LDS to inform you about the good and bad in each product line - for products they sell and even for the ones they don't.

If they push one line too much... it's probably because they overbought and it's product they can't move very well - so they're pushing it on you. Look for dealers that sell 3 or more brands and spend more time answering your questions then pushing you in a certain direction.

The new IST regs are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom