Best diving places in Hurghada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm returning this October to Hurghada for my second trip to the Red Sea. I enjoyed a lot the first trip (in May) - when I have dived the following places: Fanous East and West, Abu Ramada Gota, El Mina shipwreck, Turtle Bay, Carless Reef, Umm Qammer and of course the Thistlegorm.

I was wondering if you can give me some advice about the best spots I could see there (eventually comparing them to what I have already experienced, in order to get a feeling of how they are). We are going as a group of divers (most of us knowing each other from local dives), so we'll have our own boat rented only for us and we can suggest the places.

It will not be a liveaboard (just day trips each day), so please keep this in mind.

If you're into wrecks, try Abu Nuhas area north of Hurghada. You can also try Salem Express in Safaga south of Hurghada.

For reefs, try the Giftuns and maybe head south to Ras Abu Soma, Abu Kifan, and Panorama. The best one IMHO is Abu Kifan and it's in Safaga area so the daily trip from Hurghada will take some time. That's why you should consider a boat with powerful engine(s). Samaka (a SB member) is a dive pro resident in Hurghada and I think he can give you a hand.

I like wrecks the most, but some guys in the group might want some scenic corals also, so we'll have to find some balance in between. So don't refrain for indicating a good dive place just because it doesn't have a wreck.

But daily trips from Hurghada, with a normal (probably not the most modern/powerful) boat is a condition that cannot be changed (as the arrangements were already made with the diving agency that was used in the previous trips by our LDS, as we were all happy with them), so try to keep the advices in the Hurghada area only.

Specic place names (that we could reasonably expect to be known by that name by the guide), eventually with GPS coordinates as backup would be the best answer.

thanks!

I'm also heading there within a few weeks.

Anyone who knows what the best dive-services are overthere (for renting gear, boattrips, ...)

Hi Vixtor.

I remember that we missed each other last time you were here. Now maybe we can meet up this time. It would be cool.

When it comes to dive sites in the Hurghada area you can easily make two dives/day for a week and get to really good sites without repeating sites. Fanous East where you've been is OK Fanous west I would not get wet for. Gota Abu Ramada is nice, Turtle bay is ok, Carless is fantastic as is Um Gammar. The wreck of El Miniya is cool and gets even better if you know the history behind it (dive site maps northern red sea scroll down to the bottom). You've been to quite a few good dive sites around here and you want to top that. Easy! If you are going with a guide from the operator here you can give him this list.

One Day:
Erg Somaya and Gorgonia Garden (a.k.a. Police Station/Giftun Drift)

One Day:
Abu Ramada North Plateau and Camel Reef (a.k.a Erg Abu Ramada)

One Day:
Hamda and Sabina Garden (a.k.a. Sabina Walls/Shaab Sabina)

One Day:
Torfa Ben El Gebel and Banana Reef

One Day:
Sakhwa Abu Galawa and El Fanadir

One Day:
Abu Nuhas: SS Carnatic and Chrisoula K

There you get a nice mix of dives and they are all world class.

For more info you can check my website WELCOME TO AZIAB and you are more than welcome to email me with questions.

And for Krulle:
It depends on many different things which operator to use. Which hotel are you in? Let me know and I'll advise.

.....a.....

Thanks Asser for the nice words ;o)

But daily trips from Hurghada, with a normal (probably not the most modern/powerful) boat is a condition that cannot be changed (as the arrangements were already made with the diving agency that was used in the previous trips by our LDS, as we were all happy with them), so try to keep the advices in the Hurghada area only.
The majority of dive ops rent boats. Even those who have their own boats or have long term contracts rent boats when it's high season. So suggesting to rent a powerful boat is neither a condition that "cannot be changed" nor a trial to direct you away from your dive op.

Regarding the advices, that's what I'd be looking at if I were in your shoes. And since you're very specific, then please note that the wrecks of Abu Nuhas (Samaka named 2 of them) are in El Gouna area not Hurghada.

Here we consider El Gouna, Hurghada, and Safaga as one dive region.

Hi Samaka

Thansk for the great advice! We're planning to dive a day or 2, so the list is welcome.

We will stay at the hotel Prima Life in Makadi Bay. I heard they have a dive-school theirselves, but it read some advice to go to Hurgada for dive-trips.

Hi Vixtor.

I remember that we missed each other last time you were here. Now maybe we can meet up this time. It would be cool.

When it comes to dive sites in the Hurghada area you can easily make two dives/day for a week and get to really good sites without repeating sites. Fanous East where you've been is OK Fanous west I would not get wet for. Gota Abu Ramada is nice, Turtle bay is ok, Carless is fantastic as is Um Gammar. The wreck of El Miniya is cool and gets even better if you know the history behind it (dive site maps northern red sea scroll down to the bottom). You've been to quite a few good dive sites around here and you want to top that. Easy! If you are going with a guide from the operator here you can give him this list.

One Day:
Erg Somaya and Gorgonia Garden (a.k.a. Police Station/Giftun Drift)

One Day:
Abu Ramada North Plateau and Camel Reef (a.k.a Erg Abu Ramada)

One Day:
Hamda and Sabina Garden (a.k.a. Sabina Walls/Shaab Sabina)

One Day:
Torfa Ben El Gebel and Banana Reef

One Day:
Sakhwa Abu Galawa and El Fanadir

One Day:
Abu Nuhas: SS Carnatic and Chrisoula K

There you get a nice mix of dives and they are all world class.

For more info you can check my website WELCOME TO AZIAB and you are more than welcome to email me with questions.

And for Krulle:
It depends on many different things which operator to use. Which hotel are you in? Let me know and I'll advise.

.....a.....

Thanks Asser for the nice words ;o)

I was gonna reply with some ideas and dive sites, however after samaka's reply I couldn't find anything to add :)

we'll be there between 6 and 13 october, staying at grand hotel. i'll drop you a PM with contact details in the days before departure (so you'll have it fresh), or you can do the same if you wish.

Hi Samaka

Any suggestions on what would be the best options?

Thanks

Hi Samaka

Thansk for the great advice! We're planning to dive a day or 2, so the list is welcome.

We will stay at the hotel Prima Life in Makadi Bay. I heard they have a dive-school theirselves, but it read some advice to go to Hurgada for dive-trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom