PDA

View Full Version : Best fins for foot cramp?

Sentic
September 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hey, i often suffer with cramp in the bottum of my foot and also in my toes while scuba diving or swimming. i'm getting to a stage now where i would like to buy equipment that will suit me while i am scuba diving and i would now like to replace my old blades for a new design of fin. the instructor recommended me to buy a split fin to releave fatigue on my feet and toes and also it was improve my propoltion which would also make my air consumption even better than it already is.
i would like to spend 150euros on a pair of fins which will last and more importently make my diving exsperience more comfortable. I'm open to all suggestions, blades, splits, small or long and even pink ones!! (i used to wear pink booties before i replaced them last week!) lol

Thanks very much!
Adam aka Sentic

TSandM
September 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
It's been my experience that the most important thing in preventing cramps in the feet is fins that fit properly. If they're too narrow in the foot pocket, I'll cramp, and if they're too loose, I'll cramp. But a well-fitted fin that doesn't move much on my feet, of whatever design, won't cause cramping.

Sentic
September 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
The foot pockets do seem a little too loose i think.... but the new booties i brough after my last dive are a little more bigger then the onces i had before and less tight on my foot so they might fit the fins better, how ever i am still mind set on a new style of fin with less water resistance

DevonDiver
September 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Force Fins. I never had a cramp whilst wearing them - I did with numerous other types of fins.

fisheater
September 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Force Fins. I never had a cramp whilst wearing them - I did with numerous other types of fins.

+1

Posted via Mobile Device

tlt
September 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM

+2

Check them out at Force Fin Swim, Dive and Float Tube Fins (http://www.forcefins.com) or in their support forums for their direct suggestions for you. Force Fin - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/)

Maybe it will be possible to find someone in your area that has a pair you can try.

Susanne
September 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Sentic,

What is causing your cramps, most likely, is that the fins you are wearing extend off the end of your toes. This makes you hold your toe pointed as you kick up and down. When you hold your toe pointed, you are contracting the muscles in your toes, arches, ankles and calves. Whenever you hold your muscles contracted as you exercise - kick - you will cramp.

A fin with less load, such as your instructor recommends will alleviate some of this, but only a fin that lets your foot point and flex, like when you are walking, with each kick will do away with the cause of your cramping.

Force Fins, which we make, fit over the top of your foot, your toes are free. With each kick your foot points and flexes. That eliminates the cause of cramping. Force Fin (http://www.forcefin.com/wiseword-terra.htm) and The Truth About Dive Fins (http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/Truth_Dive2.html) for more information.

meesier42
September 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
+3 or +4 or whatever we are at for Force Fins. It looks like Susanne has hit why. cramping is a by-product of poor designs and just doesn't exist with Force Fins.

If you want Pink the Originals are available, but I prefer the Pro's (in yellow for visibility). They should be under 150EUR, but I am not sure about the pricing in Spain.

Sentic
September 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks everybody for the recommendation! i like the concept of force fins i think it is the perfect design and i am certen looking at the physiology will prevent the cramp in the arches of my feet.

I'm looking at the Force fin pros but i think i will go for the black, rather than the pink ones that would of matched my old booties lol!

Are the force fins very road bust? The clips for the strapes look very delicate.

Thanks again everybody!

~Edit~

Ooo just seen these!!!#

http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/floattubeforce.htm

DevonDiver
September 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Are the force fins very road bust? The clips for the strapes look very delicate.

I've done upwards of 2500 dives in mine :D

The fins themselves are virtually indestructable.

I strongly recommed getting the bungee style foot straps. They are very comfortable, instantly on or off...and nothing to go wrong with them. The straps have lasted perfectly on mine so far (and that's a lot of time in the water). but if the elastic did perish, then it quick and cheap to swap in some new elastic.

Sentic
September 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
ok i'll give them a shot! thanks lot, i guess i'll have to find the plastic now.... lol!

meesier42
September 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I highly recommend the bungie straps on them, they are very easy to use and comfortable, they also prevent you from over tightening the straps which can cause foot pain. The straps look fragile, but the fact remains that you don't need heel straps at anyway so they really don't experience any fatigue.

As far as robust- well they seem to last forever.

Sentic
September 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
i'm even looking at the flying force fins now..... i might have to save up a little bit more if i decided to splash out on them :P

uncleavi
September 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Force Fins for sure!
I haved dived them all over the world and love them!

WetCell
September 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hey, i often suffer with cramp in the bottum of my foot and also in my toes while scuba diving or swimming. i'm getting to a stage now where i would like to buy equipment that will suit me while i am scuba diving and i would now like to replace my old blades for a new design of fin.

Thanks very much!
Adam aka Sentic

I have a pair of Zeagle EZ-Travel's. The fins are a bit peculiar in that they are small, like a force fin, but they attach to your feet with velcro straps like a sandal. They are, without exception, the most comfortable fins that you can buy. You pay a price for comfort in speed, but at my age I put comfort above that function. They are also very easy to travel with.

If your diving style is slow and easy, with gentle descents and ascents and a meandering, enjoy the sights swim at the bottom, then you would love these fins. I cannot imagine how you would cramp with them.

protohuman
September 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
FORCE FINS without a doubt.

Sentic
September 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah i am a very slow diver, i have just messaged bob and asked him if he'd produce me the pro force fins in Sapphire Blue or Amethyst Purple, Like the flying force fin. perhaps i should also contact Anna also. if either oft hem gets back to me with a yes then i am so going to buy these fins right now!

meesier42
September 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Bob already produces the fin in the translucent colors that the Flying Force comes in, but you want to look at the Tan Delta Fin (http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FFTD). this fin is the same as the Pro or the Original but in the top grade urethane that is much more expensive than the Pro or Original materials, the Flying Force is only available in the Tan Delta material.

aclink
September 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I would recommend Split Fins. I used to have cramps too like you, but I bought my split fins and I started to drink more water and ear a bannana before I dove. Since then, no cramps.

Anthony

dhuskins
September 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Lots of water, less exertion while diving, and Force Fins. Because of their cost, I recommend the fin keepers.

Call Bob in the mornings. He loves to talk to customers and help them with any questions they may have. I dive with his SD-1. They are the best photography fins I have found. My wife owns a pair of Pro Force Fin.

I find that most of Bob's designs work best with thinner boots (or no boots at all). Others have disagreed with my observation.

themagni
September 16th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've done upwards of 2500 dives in mine :D

The fins themselves are virtually indestructible.

I strongly recommend getting the bungee style foot straps. They are very comfortable, instantly on or off...and nothing to go wrong with them. The straps have lasted perfectly on mine so far (and that's a lot of time in the water). but if the elastic did perish, then it quick and cheap to swap in some new elastic.

I'll also vote for Force Fins and recommend the bungee strap. Don/doff is laughably easy. Good power and control underwater, high-vis options, and comfortable.

I do get cramps with them, but only after ~1 hour in the water -- it's cold here.

diverdoug1
September 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Everyone has an opinoion about the best fin (just like everyone has an "explitive"). Just make sure your foot pocket fits well AND if you are diving in cold water, that you have adequate thermal protection for your feet.

Funky556
September 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Force fins are good option... I dive split fins and are very happy with them. I do suggest you get the bungie straps though. I have spring straps on my fins and recommend that to everybody, super comfortable. Donning and duffing are a cinch!

castanagajt
September 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Lots of water, less exertion while diving, and Force Fins. Because of their cost, I recommend the fin keepers.

Call Bob in the mornings. He loves to talk to customers and help them with any questions they may have. I dive with his SD-1. They are the best photography fins I have found. My wife owns a pair of Pro Force Fin.

I find that most of Bob's designs work best with thinner boots (or no boots at all). Others have disagreed with my observation.

You are right about his designs are more for using a thinner boot or none at all. for example I bought an XL force fin but it doesn't fit because I was using an Akona 7mm hard sole boot. His fins seems to work best with soft soled boots. you can use hard soled boots but will probably need about a size or two larger than you are used to. Using soft soled boot.

If you have a cramp I would suggest you stay with the originals...or if you really want to then go with the pros. For you, I still say the originals. Tan Delta is a very hard polyurethane, it is the same as my whiskers are made of. To be honest with you, I can't handle those, it would be too difficult for me to use.

As for bungees or normal straps, I have them both. I like the bungees more but I really don't mind the regular straps as well. Just make sure kick a little so the pocket will set to your feet and give a sharp tug in the water if you stay with the straps. It's really hard to leave Bob Evans designs once you get used to them.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1