• Head first

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Depends on mood/situation

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • Other (sideways?)

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
Having just completed certification dives this past weekend (woohoo!), I noted that on some descents, feet first was pretty easy. On other descents (notably when I was following the descent line in a slight current) head first worked best for me, since I was able to follow the line and kick a bit to counteract the current. I know that they recommend feet first to newbie divers, to that ear clearing is easier, but I was able to clear my ears with no problems in either orientation. What do the rest of you do when you descend?

Feet first for the first 6 feet then head more or les down so I can see where I am going. If you can clear well, I would not bother with a feet first descent.

On most dives I'll just stay negative and sort of free fall to the bottom in what amounts to a sky diving type arched position. You are level but face down. This allows you to see the bottom coming up and adjust bouyancy accordingly so that you come to a gentle halt 1-3 feet off the bottom rather than crashing into the bottom as people tend to do feet first.

Descending feet first and kicking your feet to compensate for poor bouyancy control will stir up silt even if you don't actually touch the bottom. We have a lot of silt where I normallly dive and stirring up silt and ruining the vis will invoke the ire of everyone else you are diving with.

Horizontal or as stated above the skydiving position, unless I'm actually having to swim because of current.:wink:

The ear canal is best positioned in a vertical position for clearing your ears. If you have difficulty clearing your ears, remain in the feet first position. Descending rapidly head first can cause equalization problems for many people. Use your judgement.

Horizontal...

Feet first for the first few meters to get started and then horizontal to give myself more control.

Trying to hit a wreck in current it is head down, and finning.

Often, particularly in low vis, it is head up vertical, face to face with a buddy a foot or two away.

On a group dive in clear tropical water, I'll do a slow negative bouyant descent, horizontal, face up, watching the others above me, with an ocassional look over my shoulder to avoid that embarassing thump at the end.

Sometimes, it's just however I fell off the boat --- any position works. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom