Best Diving in Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wayne007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're new to the Red Sea diving, and we were wondering which locations you'd recommend. Is Hurghada, or Sharm el Sheikh the best? What time of year would be best for sea life large and small? Are liveaboards the way to go?

Any info you have would be appreciated

Wayne

hmmm... That depends on who you ask... I would of course say West Side. Mr Shadow would without a shadow of a doubt say East Side. Steve would probably say something silly... All it boils down to is personal taste. If I would recommend one location for the best Daily Diving and then only think Dive Sites, it would absolutely be Hamata. But then again, there are many things to consider. What are you after exactly? Do you want to have a vibrant nightlife and five star restaurants and shopping? Are you coming out here for the diving only and would be prepared to sleep on the beach for world class dive sites? There are so many choices...

Yes Liveaboard getto sites that you can't reach with daily diving and some of those are outstanding. especially if you want sharks and stuff... For the time of year have a look at: http://www.aziab.com/RED SEA YEAR - TIME TABLE.htm

.....a.....

Last edited:
hmmm... That depends on who you ask... I would of course say West Side. Mr Shadow would without a shadow of a doubt say East Side. Steve would probably say something silly...
:D

No actually I won't. What I would say is it's different. Dahab is different than Sharm, which is different than Hurghada and the southern parts of the Egyptian Red Sea. As you can't compare apples to oranges, saying a place is better than the others is purely subjective.

I prefer Dahab because it's quiet and still you're in a "sense of town". Some places in the south are more quiet but you're in the middle of no where. Sharm is more of a shopping mall. And frankly speaking I don't like Hurghada (now that's subjective :wink:).

Samaka shouldn't we arrange a couple of trips together? One to your side (if you like Hamata the most I don't have issues with that), and the other in Dahab and Ras Abu Galoum. What do you think?

Liveaboard is the best way of seeing the better selection of sites in a short space of time. As to where, if its big stuff you want go south.

I would say avoid sharm shore based like the plague (its awful) and Hurghada the same. Good diving but nasty places to stay.

Ditto to what String said.

If your holiday is only about diving, then it's definitely a liveaboard. The itinerary depends on your preference. For wrecks try the north itinerary. Also now there's a Gulf of Suez itinerary introducing some supposedly newly discovered wrecks. For pelagics and big stuff, try the south, especially Brothers - Daedalus - Elphinstone itinerary. For macro, I'd say try the Gulf of Aqaba itinerary (Taba - Nuweiba - Dahab - Tiran).

I would also say it depends on the sort of trip you're after.

However, if it's diving first, I would have to go with going down south. A liveaboard out of Marsa Alam will take you to some great sites where you can see healthy corals in great concentration, sharks, wrecks etc.

Of course, "south" or "less-dived" are relative terms (I've only ever done Red Sea trips out of Egypt) and I have spoken to hard-asses who'd liveaboarded out of Eritrea or Sudan and told me "you don't know what you're missing." :shocked2:

:D
Samaka shouldn't we arrange a couple of trips together? One to your side (if you like Hamata the most I don't have issues with that), and the other in Dahab and Ras Abu Galoum. What do you think?

Sounds great. I alrerady have one orgainzed. From Safaga down to Hamata with bus and do all the best sites along the way. One week with 21 possible dives. Thats quite cool.

...a...

Last edited:
Thanks! That gives me a better idea of where to start

Wayne

hmmm... That depends on who you ask... I would of course say West Side. Mr Shadow would without a shadow of a doubt say East Side. Steve would probably say something silly...

.....a.....

:mooner:

Guitar Shark in Sharm, 06/09/09
I am Going to start a post of sightings in Sharm just to get some perspective here.
I'll admit one thing though, I don't go into Naama Bay if I can help it. And I do miss the old village atmosphere. Thats Progress... Loads of People love it though.

Back
Top Bottom