$15,000 Florida Lobster Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida Scuba Divers

Contributor
Reaction score
5th Annual Scuba Works
Florida Lobster Challenge​

$15,000.00 Grand Prize for a 16 lb Lobster​

October 17th and 18th, 2009​

Official Information and Rules Information​

The registration fee is $60.00 until October 10th. After the 10th the registration will be $75.00. Registration forms are available at Scuba Works, any questions please call 1-561-575-DIVE (3483). Early registration will open 10:00am on September 4th and will close at 6:00pm October 9th, 2009. Late registration for the tournament must be received by 10:00 am on October 17th, 2009. NO EXCEPTIONS. It is the contestant’s responsibility to ensure that he or she is entered on time.

Make all checks payable to Scuba Works and mail entry forms to;

Scuba Works
C/O 5th Annual 2009 Florida Lobster Challenge
351 South US Highway One # 103, Jupiter, Florida, 33477

All entries must have the divers certification number printed legibly on the entry form. WE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR FINDING YOUR CERTIFICATION NUMBER.

Safety Meeting
There will be a safety meeting at 7:00pm on Friday October 16th held at Scuba Works. At this time all tournament and safety rules will be reviewed then.

Boat Transportation
Contestants will be responsible for furnishing their own equipment and boat transportation. Boat transportation may be arranged by contacting Scuba Works at 561-575-DIVE (3483). Transportation will be arranged on a first come first served basis. Do not wait until the last week for a spot on a boat; call early because space will be very limited.

Weigh-in
The weight station will be located in front of Scuba Works at 351 South US Highway One # 103 in Jupiter Florida and will be open from 12pm NOON to 2pm on Sunday October 18th. If the contestant is not in line for weigh-in by the close of weigh-in their lobsters will NOT be weighed. Each contestant must present his or her lobster to the weigh masters who will record the weight, category, time and contest’s name. All lobsters to be weighed must be alive and keep in salt water or on ice at all times. Dead lobsters will not be weighed!

Prizes
Grand Prize is $15,000.00. To be eligible for the grand prize the contestant must weigh a lobster that meets or exceeds 16.00 pounds in weight. The weight will be weighed to the nearest 1/100s of a pound. There will be only one Grand Prize. If more than one weighed lobster meets or exceeds 16.00 pounds the largest of the weighed lobsters will win. If there is a tie in pounds and 1/100s of a pound the lobster weighed first will win.

Largest Lobster Prizes

1st Place: $ 1000.00 CASH

2nd Place: $ 500.00 Scuba Works Bucks

3rd Place: $ 250.00 Scuba Works Bucks

Best (6) Six Lobster Prizes

1st Place: $ TBD

2nd Place: $ TBD

3rd Place: $ TBD

You can get registration forms and rules on our website at Scuba Works - Jupiter Florida Scuba Diving and Dive Shop - Home -. This is a great chance to win some great prizes and meet some other divers at the cookout. Hope to see you there.

Last year Little Jim wieghed in a fifteen and three quarter pounder. Largest I have ever heard of.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last year Little Jim wieghed in a fifteen and three quarter pounder. Largest I have ever heard of.

Posted via Mobile Device

We heard someone caught a 16 1/4 lobster off Vero Beach a couple of weeks ago. Also, remember the largest lobster whether 5 lbs or 15 lbs still wins $1,000 first prize.

I wonder if i could slip a 3-pound lobster with a 12-lb weight belt on it past those yokels up in Jupiter...

I wonder if i could slip a 3-pound lobster with a 12-lb weight belt on it past those yokels up in Jupiter...

:rofl3:

That's still only 15 lbs tho...

I was about to call B/S on that one, but according to Wikipedia, the world record is 26 lbs.

I will post pictures soon. The guy who caught it is having it mounted so once it is finished I will take some photos. We have a 12 lb and 13 lb lobster on our wall at the shop. They are huge so I can only imagine what a 16 lber looks like.

How would you even wrestle something like that to the surface?
My math was off on the belted lobster - I guess I'd slip a wet t-shirt on it - maybe that would add a pound.
A few years ago, I crawled into a cave on a wall on Grand Turk and saw somew bars at the end of the cave. I could not figure out what bars were doing in a cave kinda deep on the wall.
They turned out to be the legs of a lobster - it took a while to trace out the whole body of the critter. Not only did I not want to mess with it inside the tight constriction, but I was trying to figure out how to haul my butt out of there before I got it irritated by by presence.

How would you even wrestle something like that to the surface?
My math was off on the belted lobster - I guess I'd slip a wet t-shirt on it - maybe that would add a pound.
A few years ago, I crawled into a cave on a wall on Grand Turk and saw somew bars at the end of the cave. I could not figure out what bars were doing in a cave kinda deep on the wall.
They turned out to be the legs of a lobster - it took a while to trace out the whole body of the critter. Not only did I not want to mess with it inside the tight constriction, but I was trying to figure out how to haul my butt out of there before I got it irritated by by presence.

If I am so lucky to catch a 15 pounder he is shooting to the surface via lift bag...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom