Tech Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Richard,

First, I'm not with Ikelite - just another user. However, your post has me interested in any response you might get because of a similar situation that has come up with my rig.

I shoot a Canon 30D in an Ikelite with a DS-160. In April, while in Bonaire on a dive holiday, I noticed the housing/camera was having an electrical issue, but only when deeper - 90-100'. The issue was that the top LCD light was coming on without my pushing the buttom - in fact, when I tried to push the button to perhaps jiggle the problem free, I found the button unresponsive - like it was already fully depressed. As I worked my way to more shallow water, the button seemed to return to normal operation.

Fast forward a few months and the issue seems to have gotten worse - today on a dive to only 56' I noticed that the back LCD on the camera was shutting off the moment it went to preview the shot I had just taken - like when a button is pressed.

I plan on taking it on a dive tomorrow to more carefully document what it is doing exactly - so I can at least adequately describe the problem if I end up sending the housing in for repair or service.

Finally, the housing has about 130 dives on it since I bought it in early 2008 and I've never "serviced" any part of it myself. Oh, and the top LCD button on the housing is rusted - it is the only one that is.

Anyway, I'm not sure if we're taking about the same, or similar, thing, but thought I'd offer my observations.

Lee

Hi Richard,

This past saturday I was on my first dive with my brand new Canon G10 Ikelite Housing. At a deep more of 15 meters, some strange behavior with the buttons.
I was lucky because I was diving with the Ikelite representative in Chile Mar en Sepia Fotografía submarina chile, and he explained me that sometimes this happens when the zoom knob or another button stays pressed.

Check that an try.

Hope this helps

My answer will be a little redundant in comparison to the thread you reference, but I'd like to put some thoughts together in one post.

Unfortunately it's impossible for us to determine the exact cause of these problems without actually seeing the housings. Things to look for that could help us identify the source of the problem are:

1. Is the shutter control actually hitting the shutter button at depth? After about 15' the shaft is pushed in about as far as it will go. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is unlikely that there is a mechanical issue causing the control not to hit in the 100' range if it works in the 30-50' range.

If the shutter button is able to be depressed but the camera will not take a picture, proceed with these steps:

2. Confirm that no buttons are being hit by controls on the housing. The pushbuttons on the top of the D90 camera (exposure comp, metering, etc) are common culprits.

2. Use manual focus. Does the problem still occur? If this resolves the problem then it suggests that the camera is not able to autofocus at depth. This is usually solved by adding a brighter focus light. If it won't autofocus at all underwater and you're using a dome port, it would suggest that your lens requires a diopter.

3. Does it take a photo with the strobe(s) turned off, but not with them turned on? If so, then return all electrical components--housing, strobe(s), and sync cord. Again keep in mind that you may need a focus light to try and take a picture without strobes at 100'.

4. Does the top LCD give an error code when it refuses to take a picture? Take note of it.

And in response to Lee, the corrosion of the pushbutton could definitely keep it from returning properly at depth. Please return it for replacement of the corroded control.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom