cigaretts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Other then the obviouse dangers, I was wondering how many of you smoke and those of you who do, do you think that it has any negative effects on your diving and air consumption? I have heard that there are some related problems with the carbon monoxide when you start getting into the depp stuff, maybe it is just my instructor tring to get me to quit.

One thing I was told about smokeing was that it causes mucus buildup in the lungs. The mucus is an atempt to repair and defend againdt the lung damage caused from the smokeing. That mucus could trap air and cause a diver to embolize.

Not sure if its true, and I have never heard of it happeneing.

I don't smoke, my mother did more than enough for me. I'm now one of thoes smoke nazi's who is jumping for joy every time an anti-smoking law is passed. Yay Ottawa!

I have smoked for 42 yrs dived for 32 yrs and have done a lot better with air consumption than some non smokers including my wife (it really irks her) But I will be the first to admit its not good for you.

cdiver2 once bubbled...
I have smoked for 42 yrs dived for 32 yrs and have done a lot better with air consumption than some non smokers including my wife (it really irks her) But I will be the first to admit its not good for you.

I'm willing to bet that someone with 30+ yrs diving experience will have better air consumption then other divers.

My air consumption has gotten better over this time period, but is it from quiting smoking or being more relaxed underwater....or a bit of both.

But I have no intention of restarting. I do feel better,( but I added 10 lbs on, but given that I was skinny as a rake, this was a good thing.

Jeff

It definitely has some negative effects for air consumption but I don't think under normal circumstances, the co2 build up would be that big of a problem for recreational divers. Lots of divers are smokers and do fine. However, I quit smoking 3 months ago and I feel much better. It hasn't made a noticable difference in my air consumption but I have more energy than I did when I was a smoker. It could be psychological but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom