The difference one year makes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

princessaprilia

Contributor
Reaction score
snowbound Canadian fortress, AKA Regina, SK
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, it was my birthday yesterday. So after my diary entry chronicalling what a great day today was... the paying off of my drysuit, booking my dive trip to Port Hardy for the end of the month, and the great drinks and appies I had with my buddy Dawn, I decided to read what I had said last year. One year can change your opinion COMPLETELY.

Sept 8, 2008.

I'm taking a scuba class. Always wanted to do it. Ever since the cruise in '94. I may not sell everything and move to St. Thomas, but I'm going to get certified. Jeff is joining me - which surprised me to no end! He swims like a rock??? But this is my birthday present to MYSELF. Yay 40! (Well, I have to be excited about something??)

I cannot believe how psychotic these people at the dive shop get about diving. Seriously. The amount of money they are willing to spend on a dedicated dive trip?? An entire trip about diving. For a week. What can these people be thinking? Yeah, it's great... but not even I can get that crazy. What can you see after your 7th dive in a day, that you couldn't see on the first one?? No idea. Oh. I haven't even touched on the amount of money they are willing to spend on gear!! Insane.

These people are nice... but have no real lives???

ONE YEAR LATER....

September 8, 2009

Jeff phoned me at 12:01am. Did he REALLY think I wanted to hear the guys from work singing Happy Birthday to me that early? Apparently Steve even composed an interpretive dance to go with it.

We had an appointment at the lawyer's at 10 this am, then we went to McDonald's for breakfast. "Nothing but the best for you, babe" from Jeff. We then went to the scuba shop, and he paid off my drysuit for my birthday present. He knows me so well. :) I'm SO worth it! :)

While we were at the shop, Brad (scuba guru) mentioned that my brother also bought me a gift certificate. What am I going to do with that one? I also paid for my Port Hardy trip. Only 2 more weeks until I go. I invited Jeff again, but I'm afraid that he is going to be only my 'warm-water-vacation-buddy'. I'm going to Naniamo for 2 days, then Comox for one, and then Port Hardy for 4 days!!!! Some SERIOUS diving! I'm so excited. Thankfully I'll have my drysuit, hopefully my p-valve will show up by then?!?! Please, please, please... don't let me screw this up. I wish I was a better diver. :p

Dawn & I had our celebratory food at the Keg tonite. I'm sure it was only about 140 calories... birthday calories don't count - right? Then drinks at her house, and I solved all of Christi's problems... I should have been a Councillor! All around a good day. Dawn published on my Facebook page that I'm getting dorkier every year... I guess that when it comes to scuba... i am. But that's it. Only one obsession per year.

Yup... it's amazing how quickly I embraced the "no life" that is scuba? :wink: :rofl3:

Last edited:
Perfect.

You can't know what you didn't know.

Now you know... and, just wait! There's more.

Greetings princess and I know exactly what you are talking about! I to not long ago could not believe the things my instructor and his assistants did as well as the cash that was spent. One dive trip to Mexico and the OW and AOW training did it! Next thing I know I am moving toward DM and entering the Tech realm totally immersed into the dive world.
Thousands of dollars latter I am pondering a trailer to haul my gear around and oh yeah a new vehicle to pull that trailer. I guess some of us get the virus and it mutates into full blown obsession. It has changed my life and set me on a coarse for the waters of the world. If it was not for the recession or what ever they choose to call it, I would have been even more in debt.
What can I say I love to dive and need to dive or else! When I am out of the water for a week or two I start to twitch and it gets very ugly. I am not joking worse than a anti-coffee week end! It could be worse though, I could go back to my sedimentary past where dreams were just a thought, and hope was a virtue to strive for. Now I LIVE IT!
Everyday is a dream and another opportunity to dive and see what I always wondered about. The adventure of a life time is just one splash away!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I got the bug about three plus years ago at age 66. A couple of my employees were divers and talked about it all the time. They invited me many time to go along but because of business constraints and dissinterest I avoided it. Some time after I retired one of them arranged for me to do a training dive in a YMCA pool. Let's just say that I was hooked like a fat salmon. Since that time I have made a monthly pilgimage to the Keys and Coz like clockwork to do two or three days of diving. After about 150 dives and not counting gear I figure that I've got about twenty five to thirty thousand of Social Security money in it by now. Those of you with jobs, please keep working and paying the SS tax. I need the money for diving.

Those of you with jobs, please keep working and paying the SS tax. I need the money for diving.

And I thought all that money was being wasted. :wink:

Happy belated Birthday! It sounds like this may be your first trip to Port Hardy; make sure you take in the Browning Wall... Have fun! :)

It is a disease. I am new to the sport/hobby. I passed my AOW 2 weeks ago. Within the previous half dozen dives I appreciate what good equipment brings to the enjoyment of the sport. I am in the midst of my research/budget phase for my first real equipment purchase (BCD, Reg. & Dive computer). Sadly I probably will not get another good dive in until my trip to Aruba in February. Oh yes... and Happy Belated-Birthday and Thx for sharing.

haha, too funny! Hope you had a wonderful birthday (sounds like you did)!

And just let me say, I am very jealous about your Port Hardy trip! It's definitely on my to-do list....so please write up a trip/dive report as I'd love to read it! :D

I know... I'm counting down the days until Port Hardy. I did Comox/Campbell River/Quadra Island last year, fantastic! Browning wall is on the agenda :) this year.

On a side note... anyone have a good hangover remedy? I enjoyed the birthday a little toooo much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom