Diving after flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roombaguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In the OW course they mention not to fly x hours before taking a plane.

Are there any guidelines for diving AFTER a flight? I have never seen anything said for this. I assume that its a non-issue?

many thanks

M.

Main concern with diving AFTER a flight is dehydration and exhaustion(alcohol on the plane, not sleeping.)

There's no saturation issues to be worried about since by the time you land, make it to the dive site, etc your tissues will have reached equilibrium with the surrounding environment.

The issue with flying after diving is your body doesn't release stored nitrogen at a consistent rate. This is why you ascend slowly, do a safety stop at 5m/15', etc etc. If you fly before a certain point your tissues will release stored gases faster than you expel it, and you'll get bent.

I posed this same question to DAN once...

The doc's response was that there's nothing inherently risky about diving immediately after getting off a plane, since you're going from lower pressure to higher pressure and your body hasn't absorbed extra nitrogen in-flight.

That being said, however, you generally want to avoid diving in you're fatigued, dehydrated or hungover. If you're like me and drink a lot on planes (*hic* :drunks:), you'll want to give yourself an extended surface interval to sober up and re-hydrate before diving. Similarly, if it's a red eye and you arrive exhausted, a nap is a better use of your time than a dive.

Well, diving after drinking is a bad idea, airplane or otherwise.

If you slept on the plane and drank a bunch of water and feel fine, go for it.

-Charles

In the OW course they mention not to fly x hours before taking a plane.

Are there any guidelines for diving AFTER a flight? I have never seen anything said for this. I assume that its a non-issue?

many thanks

M.

Non-issue...

given

1) you are sober
b) you are hydrated
3) you are well rested

Posted via Mobile Device

Back
Top Bottom