Surveying Weedy Seadragons in Sydney, Australia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl_Fallon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
G'day everyone,

My name is Carl Fallon and I volunteer with a bunch of divers running a group called Botany Bay Watch. We recently wrote a distinctive PADI Specialty Course to teach divers how to monitor the marine species in Botany Bay, in Sydney.

Our group teaches it's volunteers about the the Bay, it's fish and in particular about Weedy Seadragons. We also teach divers how to monitor the marine species in the Bay. WE LOVE OUR WEEDY SEADRAGONS!!!:dork2:

If you are interested in learning about Weedy Seadragons, you should check out our FREE online Course manual for loads of cool information and pictures. It is a brilliant resource for any diver.

http://www.botanybaywatch.com.au/BBW_Specialty_Course_Manual.pdf

I hope you all enjoy reading the manual. The more information that is out there about these awesome creatures the more awarness we hopefully create.

Last week I look a video camera out and filmed some of our volunteers surveying at the Steps dive site in Botany Bay. YouTube - Botany Bay Watch with Abyss Scuba Diving We found 5 different Seadragons and filled the data sheets on all 5. The information we are collecting is helping establish the relationship between Weedy Seadragons and their habiats. Very exciting.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy the download, and the video.

Cheers:D

I did a course with Carl about two weeks ago and highly recommend it to Sydney divers. Weedys are cool!

(Edit: spelling)

Hi David... I am glad that you enjoyed the course. I am out again this weekend with 16 new divers. 8 each day over the weekend. The conditions are looking great, so hopefully we collect some good data.

Professor David Booth was on Catalyst last night with a segmant on the Weedy Seadragon Monitoring. Very cool. Hopefully i will be getting a DVD with it to show our members.

Also, Cheers Louie for you thanks. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom