Use Sea & Sea YS90 Auto with DS-125

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samurai_k

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Ikelite G9 housing and DS-125 using e-TTL. I would like to try a second strobe to my setup. I was thinking of borrowing my brother's YS-90 Auto strobe which has a TTL port for it. Is there any way to use the Sea & Sea strobe as a fill triggered by the TTL cable while using the DS-125 as the primary strobe?

We do not have any cables that would attach one DS125 and one Sea & Sea strobe. When the Ikelite strobe is connected by sync cable, the non-Ikelite strobe would have to be fired as a slave flash off of the Ikelite strobe.

Also please note that a Sea & Sea strobe connected directly to one of our housings with a sync cable will NOT provide TTL operation.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Hi Samurai.... Yeah..you can do it
I just did with my Canon G10, Ikelite Housing, Ikelite DS51 Strobe, and:

Matthias Adapter + Sea & Sea Nikonos Style Sync Cord + Sea&Sea YS-90 TTL Auto.

You can buy the cable and adapter from Reefphoto with Ryan.

It works great!

Check my first UW photos with this setup uploaded sept 6 in my flickr.

This is the way I did it:

img0448u.jpg

img0458y.jpg

img0454v.jpg

img0443u.jpg

img0445qr.jpg

img0438n.jpg

And here is how I look underwater with this setup (Photo by Fernando Olivares)

foc4426.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh.... I'm sorry, I didn't resize the images...

Resizing done

I have to add that this configuration works great in TTL with both strobes!

Thanks Iroseel. Does the adapter you bought for the Sea & Sea strobe work with TTL metering or can you only use it in manual mode?

Hi Samurai. The Matthias adapter works in TTL metering for the YS-90 Strobe.
In my camera, i just leave the YS-90 in TTL mode, and Slave Off. It works just fine.

This shoot was made in Shutter priority, where the camera adjust the Strobes power with the TTL metering. I made a mistake with the aim of the strobes, but you can see that the picture was well exposed. And I have to tell you that this shoot was under very hard condition, inside a cave at 26 meters deep with very poor light.
img0506small.jpg

I'm sure that you can get a lot better results in clear waters.
I'm just starting with this configuration, I have only two dives with it, and I hope to improve the shoots with more practice.

Hi,

I did some TTL Test of my setup and this is what I get. I included the camera set up for each shoot.

Av 1/60 f8
img0980k.jpg

Av 1/60 f2.8
img0981tm.jpg

Tv 1/20 f2.8
img0982um.jpg

Tv 1/250 f2.8
img0983fn.jpg

Can you post some pictures fo different Fstops at 1/60 speed? Also put something vertical 6" in front of the store front like a pole.
Thanks
Bill

Ok, these are the shoots you asked me.

Here you can see how I made the tests:

dsc00010rq.jpg

All the shoots were taken in Aperture Priority, with both strobes in TTL mode. The YS-90 Auto was in Slave mode OFF.

TV:1/60 AV: f/2.8
img1013ag.jpg

TV:1/60 AV: f/3.2
img1014m.jpg

TV:1/60 AV: f/4.0
img1015u.jpg

TV:1/60 AV: f/5.6
img1016h.jpg

TV:1/60 AV: f/6.3
img1017c.jpg

TV:1/60 AV: f/8.0
img1018z.jpg

What do you think? Is this true TTL?

The Matthias adapter is aimed to the DS51 strobe in Default mode, i.e. Recorded TTL mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom