scuba skills that need practice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theslyfox01

Contributor
Reaction score
Brisbane, Australia. Though I'd rather be home in
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm off on a dive trip to South Australia in a couple of days to dive a 130 metre warship :) (HMAS Hobart), with that in mind I'm doing a purely training dive with my buddy tommorow to practice skills that I'll need to have up to scratch for what will be a reasonably challenging dive.

The dive environment: 30 metres depth with strong currents, average viz. and the actual wreck itself can't be recreated on our practice dive tommorow which will most likely be an unninteresting local shore dive in 5 metres of water, but the practice will still be of good use.

The question I have is.. What skills do I need to practice..? :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head I can think of the more obvious ones, mask removal/replacement, bouyancy control, buddy breathing etc etc etc but I'd hate to forget to practice something and then find myself screwing up on the wreck and not being able to easily rectify the problem because I haden't kept a particular skill up to par.

Anyone know of a list somewhere on scubaboard where someones addressed this question, or feel like taking a stab at it themselves, cheers :wink:

if your doing penitration you might want to practice getting your reck real all tangled and then undoing it ...practice your knots

and then hope someone more qualified answers you by tommorow:D

theslyfox01 once bubbled...
I'm off on a dive trip to South Australia in a couple of days to dive a 130 metre warship :) (HMAS Hobart), with that in mind I'm doing a purely training dive with my buddy tommorow to practice skills that I'll need to have up to scratch for what will be a reasonably challenging dive.

The dive environment: 30 metres depth with strong currents, average viz. and the actual wreck itself can't be recreated on our practice dive tommorow which will most likely be an unninteresting local shore dive in 5 metres of water, but the practice will still be of good use.

The question I have is.. What skills do I need to practice..? :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head I can think of the more obvious ones, mask removal/replacement, bouyancy control, buddy breathing etc etc etc but I'd hate to forget to practice something and then find myself screwing up on the wreck and not being able to easily rectify the problem because I haden't kept a particular skill up to par.

Anyone know of a list somewhere on scubaboard where someones addressed this question, or feel like taking a stab at it themselves, cheers :wink:

DSMB usage. In strong currents you don't want to have to make a mid water ascent without a reference line if you can't find the anchor again.

R..

Do some surprise OOAs with your buddy tomorrow....

What is going to save your A$$ when the fit hits the shan is your buddy. Practice taking each others mask....or take your off & see how long it takes him to realize what has happened. Obviously reg removal and replace. Team awareness is KEY.

If you are going to be working with lights (which I would suggest on any wreck dive) make sure you have communication logistics down pat.

Make sure you each have the appropriate gear. Like a primary knife and shears...you never know what you're going to run into on that wreck.

Unless you have the training....DO NOT go inside....you are just asking for trouble...lines, collapse, silt, dangling wires, etc. etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom