DM insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stefo2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I post this in the Basics forum because I know there are a lot of professionals reading and posting here as well.

Those of you who are DMs or above (or equivalent from other agencies) but not currently working in diving (neither full-time nor part time, paid or unpaid) - do you carry professional (liability) insurance or just standard?

I would make sure I stay current with membership to certifying agency, and keep liabiliity insurance just to avoid future hassles if you plan on being a working DM in the future, if not...keep the memebership, don't bother with insurance

If you are not working as a DM or assisting an instructor with classes there is no requirement for you to carry insurance. Your DM rating will not get revoked, You simply will be in inactive status. If you wish to then work as a DM in the future, Simply aquire the appropriate insurance and contact your certifying agency (assuming Padi?) and they will then make you active.

Thanks, that's what I have been doing so far (keep membership up to date, not worry about prof. insurance). But what about this issue that, according to some law systems at least, a DM or instructor is only really diving privately when he / she is diving with someone with at least the same qualification - info from DAN Europe about diving in countries with "English law system" (that's Common Law, I guess - and can be held liable as a professional in all other cases? What if you agree to buddy with / mentor an inexperienced diver?

I'm not overly concerned as I have no intentions of being negligent (bit of a contradiction in terms, I guess) on my buddies anyway, just wondering...

Just because of your DM rating you can't be held liable for every diver on the boat. You have the right to dive for your pleasure and not be responsible for everyone else. Anyone can sue for anything, Weather they a sucsessful or not that is another story.

The topic of what Pro's are responsible for has been covered many times. Check the search button and you'll see what I mean.:D

IMHO, the insurance cost is relatively low and well worth the piece of mind, even if I was to become in-active.

Carrie

If you knew you were not going to be acting in a professional role with divers in your charge, Why would you spend the money? If you are active, I agree you can't be without it.

JThe topic of what Pro's are responsible for has been covered many times. Check the search button and you'll see what I mean.:D

You're right - just read through the long (and very informative) thread on pros on vacation that you initiated not so long ago.

If you knew you were not going to be acting in a professional role with divers in your charge, Why would you spend the money? If you are active, I agree you can't be without it.

I guess that's where the confusion comes from (my own but also the one that became obvious towards the end of "your" thread when buddy liability was discussed - when are you active? According to some you are more or less considered active if you agree to buddy with a diver who is less experienced than you - whether he pays you or not.

I agree, though, since this has been discussed at length in the other thread, there is no need to do it again here.

I was mainly curious as to what other "inactive" DMs and instructors were doing with regards to insurance.

I am usually under-insured (or as I see it just sufficiently insured) rather than over-insured in most aspects, but liabilty insurance is a different story, I think.

You're right - just read through the long (and very informative) thread on pros on vacation that you initiated not so long ago.

You are correct! I did start that thread and took heat for it! I was in no way flaming you for doing the same. Hence, the smiley face.:D:mooner::D

Back
Top Bottom