Nekton Pilot Refurbishment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like she's getting a "top to bottom" refurbishment this fall/winter. I almost regret that I can't book a trip on her next summer. Looking forward to hearing about everything they do and the first hand reviews next spring from those lucky enough to go out on her. :D

Not sure if it is a complete refurbish or not. I was told that they are sending engines to Alabama for refurbishment., Running the A/C chiller pipres down the hallway instead of through the statroom ceilings, and sand-blasting the ceiling tiles in the staterooms.
Hope they also address......
-fix the chillers, so that everything isn't alway so HOT in the boat!!!
-fix the Nitrox so that we get better than 28%!!!
-moldy wood in the stateroom heads
-replace cushions in salon
- replace door latch to engine room
-fix the hot tub, or replce with one that you don't always need parts for
-make the air dry hose on the aft camera table longer

I think that should about do it

Last edited:
Looks like she's getting a "top to bottom" refurbishment.....

Not sure if it is a complete refurbish or not.

Apparently, neither!

From Nekton:
"As many of you may have already noticed the Nekton Pilot will be out of the water from September 19th until late Spring for extensive refurbishment. The Nekton Pilot has served loyal scuba adventureres for more than 15 years and she is due to receive some updates and improvements. She will emerge from this process ready to provide the once-in-a-lifetime experiences that you have come to expect from Nekton Diving Cruises."

Not sure if it is a complete refurbish or not. I was told that they are sending wngines to Alabama for refurbishment., Running the A/C chiller pipres down the hallway instead of through the statroom ceilings, and sand-blasting the ceiling tiles in the staterooms.

Won't that take the A/C out of the rooms? That was the only part of the boat that was cool...
Hope they also address......

-fix the chillers, so that everything isn't alway so HOT in the boat!!!

AMEN!

-fix the Nitrox so that we get better than 28%!!!

Yeah, what is up with that? Are they just not bringing enough O2 to get the mix high enough?

-fix the hot tub, or replce with one that you don't always need parts for

probably should get a new one--the skirt on that one looks like driftwood!

How about do something with the plumbling so you have more than a trickle when you shower?

I am looking forward to seeing the "new" Pilot--we'll probably take a trip in early June....I don't think I'd want to go on the very first trip out, but definitely don't want to go in the height of hurricane season like this year!

Well, to me "extensive refurbishment" means basically top to bottom.....but you're right, I probably am doing a large amount of wishful thinking. :wink:

H2O Gal, They are not taking the A?C control out of each room, they are just routing the pipes down the hallway ceiling, to ease maintenance and maybe decrese drips (at least that is what the Capt. told us )

Well, to me "extensive refurbishment" means basically top to bottom.....but you're right, I probably am doing a large amount of wishful thinking. :wink:

...in today's rough economy, they are walking the knife's edge......deciding on what they can continue to get away with versus the minimum standards they feel they have to be at to compete with other dive ops...the Nekton boats have always had a medicore reputation.....slotting in somewhere between the bottom rung boats (Blackbeard's) and the 'better' boats....and it takes a LONG time for a reputation to change...and I would definitely not be the first diver to book on the refurbed boat until I'd heard sufficient feedback on the improvements/reliability. That whole NITROX 'issue' with the Nekton boats is unreal.....it is the only liveaboard I've ever heard of (that offers NITROX anyway) that both rations NITROX (only a certain fraction of the divers can even purchase NITROX due to system capacity concerns) and is unable to offer the standard/consistent 32% mix...they've had eons to get with the program on that....hopefully the company really is, finally, doing substantial...and LONG overdue improvements/upgrades.......but if it were me, I'd wait until I'd gotten real feedback from respected SB members/Undercurrent before gambling my $ there.

...in today's rough economy, they are walking the knife's edge......deciding on what they can continue to get away with versus the minimum standards they feel they have to be at to compete with other dive ops...the Nekton boats have always had a medicore reputation.....slotting in somewhere between the bottom rung boats (Blackbeard's) and the 'better' boats....and it takes a LONG time for a reputation to change...and I would definitely not be the first diver to book on the refurbed boat until I'd heard sufficient feedback on the improvements/reliability. That whole NITROX 'issue' with the Nekton boats is unreal.....it is the only liveaboard I've ever heard of (that offers NITROX anyway) that both rations NITROX (only a certain fraction of the divers can even purchase NITROX due to system capacity concerns) and is unable to offer the standard/consistent 32% mix...they've had eons to get with the program on that....hopefully the company really is, finally, doing substantial...and LONG overdue improvements/upgrades.......but if it were me, I'd wait until I'd gotten real feedback from respected SB members/Undercurrent before gambling my $ there.

Nekton has not always had a mediocre reputation. Before 2001, they consistently were rated as one of the top live-aboards. I have been a frequent customer of theirs since 1998 (as well as other live-aboards). I agree 100% with you about how ridiculous the nitrox situation is.

Actually, I don't see taking a trip on any liveaboard in the next couple of years since we have far too many land-based trips already planned. I will be very interested in hearing what they do to Pilot, or if they wind up taking her out of service permanently. It seems to happen often enough with the big cruise lines...take a ship out of service for "dry dock" only to turn around and sell her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom