Aggressor Fleet Reputation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recieved an email from CDNN/Cyber-Diver about an incident on the Galapagos Aggressor in 2001 http://cdnn.info/industry/i020105/i020105.html . In this article, they really nail Aggressor's owner. I don't ever recall hearing these type of serious problem with the Aggresssor fleet. Did I miss something? Generally all in person and internet accounts have been favorable.

Any truth to what this article purports?

Otter

I have read similar reports in the past....and....personally...i would stay away from the peter hughes boats as well. they have had 17 (i think) drowned divers in two years...not a good advertisement.

now of course many will come back and say not their fault...not going to go there to find out. they can.

Despite what you may have read, and I have seen the same write-ups, I enjoyed my trip on the Okeanos Aggressor very much. There are complainers in every group and we all know that no one interviews someone about the great time they had and how everything worked as advertized, but that is how my trip went, right down to the airport connections and who to pay the exit tax to.

I think that if you have taken a trip and had a problem you have the right to relate your experience but when you speculate and comment on what you have heard or read, and don't even have access to the person that actually had the problem, then you are just spreading rumors.

I can't speak to diving on Gal. Aggressor, but having just returned from the TCI trip, I can say it was a typically well run operation. We have dove the Cayman, Belieze, and now TCI Aggressors. Other than the ocasional new crew member ( cook ), things have always gone as planned.

People must understand that these boats are franchises, not wholly owned by Wayne Hanson and that 's where problems should be adressed. Also, if you don't like something on waiver then don't go ! Trip insurace is always a good idea.

We're already booked on the Cayman Agg. for the end of May 04.
Can't wait ! And yes we do have trip insurance. Now if we can just steer this years hurricaine's away from the Caribbean !

I think it has to be put into prespective if you consider that this incident happened in 2001 and it is now 2003 how many other divers have actually completed a trip on the Aggressor and had a fantastic time without any incidents and only good reviews.

Law of averages will state that due to the numbers that we operators service there HAS TO BE every now and again an incident or unhappy customer that a trip did not go as planned and this can be a result of many situations that may or may not be the fault of the operator.

For example I ask all my guests to fill in a questionaire after visiting my resort and 99.9% come back fantastic great time etc HOWEVER if we are going through a rough patch of weather and we have to cancel diving for more than a couple of days you can see a clear change in the comments made by guests about there stay its very interesting to see the contrast.

Another thing to consider is that while operators may have hundreds and hundreds of divers pass through there doors it is generally only the bad experiences that get the most attention even though an operator has serviced lets say 1000 divers and has one bad experience.

Obviouly if the same thing is read over and over again you have to wonder but in general we accept that we can please some of the people most of the time but we cant please all of the people all of the time even though we try.

My personal experience on the Agressor has been nothing but exceptional.

Dive Safe

Gaz

we dove the galapagos aggressor in dec of 2000. 13 guests were on board and we all had the trip of a lifetime with a great captain and crew.

i read the article in Cyber Diver and have to say that my experience on the Kona Aggressor mirrors the sentiment printed in the article. The owner is a nasty, arrogant guy who constantly misrepresents his product. He has no consience about sending out vessels in disrepair and takes no responsibility for any of it. His stock response is to tell customers to file a law suit.

I was fortunate to survive my disasterous experience. Others have not been so lucky. How many deaths will it take before divers get wise to the practices of the Aggressor Fleet? Cheers to Cyber Diver and their willingness to take the heat for telling the truth.

mimi

I've taken included the Okeanos (Cocos Is.) and more recently, the Turks/Caicos vessel. These boats were at opposite ends of the spectrum, the Okeanos was tired and needed a refurb (which it has since gotten) and the TCA II boat was freshly out of drydock.

Even tho the Okeanos needed some cosmetic updating, all systems were working and the crew was very attentive. The TCA II was immaculate and overall, the crew provided an acceptable level of service. Had the food service been better, the rating would be more complimentary.

I saw nothing on either boat that caused me concern or indicated that safety was comprised in any way.

As another poster noted, these are franchise ops.

ltlmi once bubbled...
i read the article in Cyber Diver and have to say that my experience on the Kona Aggressor mirrors the sentiment printed in the article.

I did a trip on the Kona Agressor earlier this year and everything was in good repair. The cabins were comfortable. The food was excellent. The crew was attentive and wonderful. I couldn't imagine a better dive vacation.

When I read reviews of resorts / boats / etc.. that are unbelieveabley horrible, I suspect the competition is trying to create FUD (fear uncertaintly and doubt). I would like to think that Cyber-Diver has done some research and was able to independently verify the situation -- I think its called journalistic integrity. Of course one has to wonder if 'online pubs' exercises the same or [hopefully] better journalistic integity as compared to their traditional print cousins.

I can understand a problem with a specific crew member, or bad weather, or poor diving conditions, or even a boat in need of refurbishment. But it is difficult to believe that all could occur on a single trip AND the owner (confusing why Hassan? is quoted if its a franchise) being so insensitive as to say ' so sue me'. How could such a business continue to operate over an extended period of time....the storeis would get out and people would stop using them.

All very confusing.....:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom