Valve replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronhend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
If I was to replace my tank valve, how tight should I tighten it when re-installed?

Thanks,

Ron

Steel tanks should have the valve tightened just beyond hand tight.

Most aluminum tank companies specify 75 ft pounds, but realistically just beypond hand tight will work fine as well. The idea is to ensure the valve does not accidently come loose when the tank is empty or at low pressure as if it came loose, the neck o-ring could extrude. Under high pressure, the valve is not going to budge even if just hand tight.

You should not need a wrench to either remove the valve or to install it. I have never used a wrench on the valves of either my steel 72 or my AL80. I just screw it down until it tightens against the seat, then tighten it as tight as I can with my hand and, finally, bump the knob firmly (but not too hard) a couple of times with the palm of my hand to get a good, final seat. To loosen, bump the knob a couple of times to break the seal, then unscrew it.

Don't forget to lube the threads of the valve with silicone grease or other approved lube before the re-installation.

Screw it in till it stops and then bump it with your palm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom