1 year warranty on a SeaDoo knockoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have experience with this scooter?

At $149 with free shipping I would naturally assume yet another SeaDoo knockoff slapped together by Chinese orphans :) and would not give it a second glance. But... one year warranty? So if I buy it now and it corrodes by next August I can get it replaced? I could live with that.

Does anyone have experience with this scooter and/or seller?

But how much do you want to spend shipping it back every time it floods, leaving you disappointed yet again and having to haul its useless carcass back from the dive so you can continue the joyous return process once more?

Before buying it, calculate return postage and add the value of your time and frustration then multiply that amount by the number of dives you plan on using it over the next year, add that to the original purchase price and then ask yourself if you are OK spending that much every year to own a poor performing scooter.

What would you recommend?

It's a serious question. The only use I have for a scooter is to extend my shore dive range. I ride it to descent point (usually towing my buddy), clip it to my flag line and leave it bobbing on the surface. Currently my second scooter is dead. X-Treme actually returned my money for the first one.

I've been reading this forum, and seems like every model under $1000, such as Sea-Doo Explorer or VS Supercharged, has problems.

What would you recommend?

It's a serious question. The only use I have for a scooter is to extend my shore dive range. I ride it to descent point (usually towing my buddy), clip it to my flag line and leave it bobbing on the surface. Currently my second scooter is dead. X-Treme actually returned my money for the first one.

I've been reading this forum, and seems like every model under $1000, such as Sea-Doo Explorer or VS Supercharged, has problems.

Body Glove found someone else to make the Sea Doo Explorer Scooter. Stallion currently does it and they seem to have done a good job. I had to replace my old Sea Doo and the new one has the Stallion name on it. It works very well. No flooding problems and it performs as advertised. You might want to consider it if you are still in the market for one. Just make sure it's from Stallion.

Yes, I am still on the market. Does Stallion make all Sea-Doo scooters now, or only Explorer?

Good question. That I am not sure of. I bought the Explorer and had problems with it so that was the only one I am familiar with. Once I got the new one by Stallion, I was very happy. You can call Body Glove at the number on their web site and they should be able to answer that question. They were very friendly when I spoke with them and helped me to get my new scooter.

Up to about $600

Hmm. If you can go a bit higher, I'd highly recommend a used Mako (with tow cord). It's more of a "real" scooter than the Sea-Doos, etc. You won't be sending it in every few dives for a flood. I have one (and a Sierra). It's about as fast as the Sierra and runs for a bit longer (almost 60 minutes fully pitched). With some cheap mods (e.g. new faceplate), these are good to 170'. Not too heavy at just north of 50#. Used, they're about $800-1200 depending on age and modifications.

Back
Top Bottom