Costa Rica vs Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paula4109

New
Reaction score
My family and I are trying to decide whether we will take our 2010 dive vacation to either Costa Rica or the Domincan Republic? In Costa Rica we would be diving on the Pacific side and would be diving on the Atlantic side.

Any feedback that you can give us on either place would be very helpful. If you have a certain dive shop that treated you well or not so good at either destination please give that info as well.TIA!

My daughters and I had our first exposure to diving in Costa Rica and that experience led us to return several times for vacations which blend diving with eco-touring and just hanging out on the beach. We have been to the DR for non-diving vacations and I think that CR is a lot more enjoyable and affordable. Ticos are extraordinarily friendly and there are enough ex-pat Americans and Canadians around if you are looking for that sort of thing. We are partial to Diving Safaris in Playa Hermosa. There are a number of nice resorts and hotels within a short drive with plenty of dive spots which will suit just about any type of diver.

I haven't been diving in Costa Rica, I've heard it's really beautiful country, but haven't heard much about scuba diving there.
If you decide to go to Dominican Republic, most divers say that the south coast is the best. It's the real Caribbean sea, most of the time very calm with great visibility. The east and north coast might be sometimes too wavy, as it's the Atlantic ocean.
If you would like to see the La Romana area, look here Your Dominican holiday starts here…
Good luck with your decision

I dove with this outfit, they were very nice and we had a great time. Did the discover scuba course. Dive spots were fun for beginners, plenty of life to see.

w ww. oceansunlimitedcr .com/

I dove with Northern Coast Diving in the Domincan Republic and they were great.

w ww.northerncoastdiving.com

Never been to Costa Rica but I did 2 dives in Punta Cana DR. The diving was pretty bad to be honest with you. I've heard the south side of the island is better. I really did enjoy Punta Cana overall. It was a lot of fun. The beaches were beautiful and everyone on the resort was friendly.

Go pro costa rica in Quepos is highly recomended. That outfit is also called oceans unlimited

I just returned from three months living with Ticos(literally with a family) in Costa Rica, and know the majority of the country. What would you like to know?

I highly recommend go pro, but also recommend more strongly going to Playa Flamingo, as it's cheaper, cleaner, and MUCH safer than Quepos. Do not use Dive Costa Rica there though....message me and I'll explain why. Guanacaste is nice period, and playa flamingo is a hidden jewel buried very out of the way.

Any questions about Costa Rica, culturally or geographically, I can probably answer. I'm also fluent in Costa Rican Spanish, so shoot me a message and I'll teach you a couple of "pura vida" tricks that will endear you.

Pura Vida Mae

Thank you very much! I am going to pass this along to my Mother. She will be the one who might have questions for you!

I responded. If y'all have any questions culturally, or need info about something in Costa, I can probably point you the right way.

Pura Vida Mae!

Back
Top Bottom